1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

yics tool

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by janevinnie, Jun 8, 2010.

1. janevinnie

janevinnie Member

I've just got a yics eliminator tool and i was wondering is it best to leave the tool in all the time or is it better to remove it oncve you have balance your carbs and set the mixture..

if i leave it in would you get the backfire at start up like some of the non yics suffer from.

what are the up and downs of having in against having it removed..

like fuel consumption or power etc...

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Much as we have been looking for a "Guinea Pig" to find the answers to the whole gas mileage question, I'll advise agaist leaving it in as the rubber bits could cook in place.
    Are you absolutely sure yours is made of high temp silicone?

3. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

What is the purpose of leaving the tool in once you have synched the carbs.....never heard of that one before.....

From what I understand the purpose of the tool is to isolate the intake ports for carb synchronization....

I would suggest not leaving it in after fine tuning your carbs....for what purpose...

However this is what an Ebay ad said for the YICS Eliminator tool:

The YICS Eliminator tool is used to disable the YICS system for some period of time to be determined by the user, permanently if they want. The tool is installed in the YICS passage and the passage bolt is reinstalled and tightened to the proper torque setting. The YICS Eliminator tool provides a complete seal between the YICS ports in the cylinder head. You are now able to synchronize and adjust the carburetors to the proper specifications. After adjusting and synchronizing the carburetors, you can keep the YICS Eliminator tool installed in the engine. It is recommended that you keep the tool installed until you are certain that the carbs are adjusted properly. The motorcycle can then be ridden, making it possible to obtain an accurate plug reading

Where did you buy your tool from ? I need one to synch my carbs....???

4. janevinnie

janevinnie Member

5. janevinnie

janevinnie Member

yep in the instructions that came with the tool it states you can leave it in permanently ..

just was seeing if it had any benfits leaving it in ..

6. janevinnie

janevinnie Member

7. parts

parts Member

Unlike the factory tool and other's I've seen, this one's design
    looks to allow permanant placement within the yics gallery.
    As long as all componants can tolerate the conditions within the
    gallery the only effect would be to eliminate the yics's
    ability to balance the cyl's vaccum pressure and fuel/air swirl
    during idle. I believe Yamaha's original idea was to provide a
    little better fuel economy and at the same time give better off idle performance.
    Quite obviously they dropped the design after a couple of years for
    reasons of their own. We can speculate all day as to why.

8. RiderXJ

RiderXJ Member

I guess I'll be the guinea pig on this one..
    Last May 2009, when I first got my XJ1100 running, I bought the YICS Eliminator from "Bent-Biker". After corresponding with him about the ability to leave it installed. He assured me it would be safe with NO Problems. As of today and over 4000 miles I can say I have had NO PROBLEMS. In fact I think it runs a bit better. I had a small hesitation without it installed but NO hesitation WITH it installed. I get right around 43mpg and I am NOT always easy on the throttle. Also, most of my riding is 2-up. So I can say personally, "Leave it in". I can't imagine I would get much better mileage without it installed but I know for a fact it runs better WITH IT. My advise would be to try it yourself and see. Just My .02

9. shnuffy

shnuffy Member

Paraphrased from the Yamaha service manual: