1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Winter Riding and Full Face Shield

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MaximNewbie, Nov 26, 2006.

1. MaximNewbie

MaximNewbie Member

A long time friend and rider gave me (a newbie) a suggestion for the shield fogging on a full face helmet.

I have an el cheapo helmet - the face shield doesn't have 15 adjustment notches like the more expensive jobs. I was trying to keep my shield cracked just enough to keep my breath from fogging it, but it always either flipped up or usually flipped closed - since there was no notch holding the shield at a just cracked position I was always pulling over to "reset" what couldn't be set.

My bud suggested those small silicone dots with adhesive backs, like you'd put on the bottom of a glass display disc that you had nick-knacks on. I got them (Ace Hardware, 3.99 for 16, 1/4inch dots) and put two on the inside of the shield, on each side, about half way from nose to ear. They stop the shield from closing all the way, but only leaves a 1/8inch crack - just enough for some cool air to get in at your breath and keep the shield defogged. The adhesive isn't that strong - they'll peel off easily when the summer returns.

Works great! Thought I'd share.

2. spinalator

spinalator Member

I can't believe it gets cool enough to fog anything down there, but perhaps I am being cynical and bitter, as it is 0 F with a windchill of -12F. :p

All jokes aside, that is a good cheap solution, much better than my solution of jamming an earplug up there for friction.

I also use my breath deflector out of my snowcross/motocross helmet, it has velcro attachments that stick on the inside of the liner of my Arai, and it helps a little bit to push the breath down the front of my neck and not up to my eyes. I also have a big one that goes on my head and attaches at the back of my neck, but it is a little small for my fat head. I use the little one more since it is a quick fix.

3. spinalator

spinalator Member

Oops attachment didnt work

try this again.

4. smokamoto40

smokamoto40 Member

I use the Fog City face shield sticker. Works great for me.

5. Ace_Frehley

Ace_Frehley Member

I don't know if this works or not on a motorcycle helmet,but when I used to scuba dive I would take some toothpaste and smear it sll over the lense of my mask - rub it around to get a good even coating then Rinse it off with water - and no more fog

6. MaximNewbie

MaximNewbie Member

Well, it's the humidity (I'm guessing). When I was in Canada, I remember it being dryer there. Here, today it was 43F at 5:15am when I left the house, but there was a fog warning until 9am - and the bike was soaked with dew - almost like it had rained.

Well, anyway - that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :wink: