1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Center Stand - TRICK? -- Thanks all!!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Metal_Bob, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Is there some trick to rocking the bike back onto the center stand?

I've put as much weight as possible on the center stand peg and still haven't gotten it on the stand yet.

Well I got it to work on grass but not cement/blacktop.

I'm 240lbs so I'm not exactly a light weight...

Am I just to concerned about dropping the bike and obviously inexperienced?

UPDATE:
    Left Hand Grip, Right Foot Down, Balance, LIFT + RIGHT FOOT Press works like a charm!!!
    Thanks

NOTE: Originally I was trying to do it while seated...

2. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Re: Newbie Question - Center Stand - TRICK?

It is a trick. I only have a centerstand, and I have gone from barely able to use it to being able to set it up on a big incline.

First: Make DOUBLY sure that BOTH feet are touching the ground. Left hand on left handlebar, right hand under the seat right above the rear shocks. It should sit upright with only your weight on the stand.

Second: Separate the seat from the stand. Move your right foot and right hand apart. Don't think about getting it up onto the stand, that will come when you raise the seat away from the ground.

It's hard to describe, but the best times it hardly feels you are pushing down at all. You are only pulling up. In fact, you can eventually do it without a hand on the handlebar at all, though its better if you don't.

Let me know if that works for you.

3. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

So I'm basically LIFTING the bike with my right hand while pressing down on the center stand peg with left foot? (while still holding on to left handle)

If that's right I'll practice when I can this weekend. At least I have a side stand puck (2) for now...

4. SSRat

SSRat Member

I put my FJ600 on it's center stand while I'm still straddling the bike. Be in neutral, no brake. Step on the 'pedal' of the centerstand with your left foot, so it 'lifts' and steadies the bike on the stand. Then to pull it over I pull back and 'kick' with my right leg. I'm only 170lbs and she rocks over every time. Takes me all of 3 seconds now. ^^

5. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Well between those 2 techniques I'll practice this weekend :)

6. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I will try that asap!!!! Never thought of that, it would be fricing awesome!!!!!!!!!!

I have to say, though, metal bob, you might want to perfect my technique before you try SSrat's. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems a bit more advanced. I would hate to have the bike fall on you!

7. chazmati

chazmati Member

I think it helps to grab the top of the left shock pillar with my left hand. Pull up and back on the grab bar behind the seat and on the top of that pillar. (For the non-seated method, of course).

8. RookieRider

RookieRider Member

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Never thought about it, just do it. So I'm getting ready to go for a "dawn patrol" and paid attention when I popped the bike on the stand in the driveway.

Left hand ahold of left handlebar, right hand under grab rail, right toe on centerstand lever.

Begin to roll bike back slightly, mash lever down with right toe. No lifting per se; the weight/momentum of rolling the bike backward pops it onto the stand.

10. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Main trick is to be sure both legs of the stand are down, then it's simple leverage and easy. If it's leaning one way or the other, you basically trying to lift the bike.....

With both legs touching, push down on the stand and gently lift/seaty with the grab rail

11. draker

draker New Member

Great description day7a1. I had terrible trouble at first -- I was actually really discouraged! I was only trying to push down on the stand. Once I learned to lift the grab bar with my right hand it was much easier.

...you said "pressing down on the center stand peg with left foot"... that might work but if it isn't clear already, everyone seems to be using their right foot!

SSRat that's a great idea for getting it up while still on the bike -- I will try it.

So how people get it back down off the stand? I walk forward on the left side of the bike while pushing forward on both handlebars. It's a bit tough, and once I forgot to hold the front brake, and dropped the bike away from me. I had just filled up (was at the gas station) and gas started leaking out everywhere. Incredibly embarrassing (not to mention dangerous). Fortunately I'd been taught to pick up a bike and it only took me 20 seconds to get up and outta there. Now I squeeze the brake lever as soon as she comes off the stand.

However if I try to do this when the bike is running, I inevitably rev the engine accidentally as I push. I wonder if it would be better to get on the bike, and rock it forward from a seated position. Any thoughts?

-D.

12. SSRat

SSRat Member

I try to avoid putting up either stand unless I'm on the bike, to avoid just that situation.

13. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

You guys are all really close! Now I'll tell you the BEST and SAFEST way.

My touring bike weighs 847 lbs with the bags all empty. She's a pig! She's an '01 instead of an '05 or newer so she doesn't have a button on the right handlebar to operate an electro-hydraulic center stand. She's manual all the way!

First of all you need to be wearing hard soled shoes (you'll understand why in a few steps)

Stand on left side of bike facing bike
    Handlebars hard left
    Left hand on left grip
    Use right foot to put both center stand feet on the ground by pressing on lever with the sole of your foot near the arch
    Place your right hand under the seat or on the grab rail if you have one
    Stabilize the bike
    Using your body weight step down on the center stand pushey downey thing
    The bike will pop up on the center stand with no problem

NEVER lift the bike on the stand with your right arm as you run a very real risk of pulling muscles in your arms, chest and back

Use your body weight to pop it on the stand

Ya wanna pick a heavy bike up if it decides to lay down to take a nap? Watch this video. Same bike I have and it pops right up DAMHIK

Loren

14. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Metal bob said left foot. It should be right, I would think left would be a bit ackward, but if it works then it shouldn't matter.

I never even thought to get it off the stand while off the bike. Sounds dangerous. I am always on the bike when it comes off the stand.

15. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

This time with video link :roll:

16. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

i find it pretty scary using my right foot to pop it onto the center. if i use my left foot and the bike starts tipping away maybe i can save it from going over using my right foot to brace myself.

17. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

UPDATE:
    Left Hand Grip, Right Foot Down, Balance, LIFT + RIGHT FOOT Press works like a charm!!!
    Thanks

18. parts

parts Member

If you pull a muscle while centerstanding a non bagger xj then it's
    time for you to:
    1, go to the gym-now
    2,sell your bike and get a trike!

I've hand 3 surguries on my right hand this last year,
    have a tear in the r-rotator cuff and pulled the longhead
    of my right bicept last week slipping while decending from the roof.
    and just center stood the bike this morning for it's weekly wash & wax
    with only mild pain. If a young healthy man is afraid of pulling a muscle
    then go back to cagers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

TO get my bike down off of the center stand, I straddle the bike (advantage of long legs), put the bike in neutral, push/rock forward, and it rolls right off the stand and since I'm straddling it I don't have to worry about it flopping over. As soon as the center stand pops up, I touch the brakes and she's right there ready to go.

Dave

20. SyracuseXJ

SyracuseXJ Member

@wamaxim... please don't let anyone's response to your posts cause you to shy away from contributing in the future. We all appreciate as many points of view as we can come across, otherwise we wouldn't be on here would we.

Glad to have you among us.