1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

woohoo

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by charlie3, Jun 14, 2010.

1. charlie3

charlie3 Member

After looking at page one and seeing 20 or so "hey i have a problem with this" threads, I thought I'd add something completely different.

In short, my bike is running like a champion finally!

To all those who sold me parts and provided advice over the past two years - thanks!

I'll be a happy rider this summer.

2. Jotr

Jotr Member

niiiice man! looks sweet!

3. yamaman

yamaman Member

thats perty, good job. 2 years ey, that's nice to hear, just hit my 17th month and today is one of my last days of fine tuning, ever. how sweet it is. enjoy

4. Jotr

Jotr Member

hahahah ever is a _long_ time. Only plated mine last wednesday and already got a small list of stuff I'm gonna "do next"! It never ends, but thats 1/2 of the enjoyment for me...

5. jammer41

jammer41 Member

Congrats, I cant wait to be in your place!

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You buy it as a project.
    Something for fun and to keep you busy.
    Then, the garage floor swirls around and you and the bike are transported to another dimension.
    Where money is no object.
    Time stands both still and weeks pass by while you labor.
    The closer you get to completion the more complicated it gets.
    But, you persevere.
    You have done everything necessary short of making a deal with the devil you signed in blood.
    You tamed the beast and now you will ride it like a God.

What is it that you will get as your only reward?

A sunburn that makes others wince just to see it, which they cannot understand why you are so delighted to have, unaware of how much fun you had today, ... getting it!

7. 209SECA

209SECA Member

Time stands both still and weeks pass by while you labor.....
    Or dozens of months.....=)

8. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

Oh he*l I made a deal with the Devil. And you say I disn't need to!!!

9. skills4lou

skills4lou Member

Well heck Rick, I'm pretty sure I've signed deals in blood on every bike, car and truck I've ever worked on!!! My wife is surprised if I don't wind up skinning at least one knuckle or something.

10. marshallnoise

marshallnoise Member

Congratulations!

I too bought a project 2 months ago. But I have been going very slow with it. I am making sure not to spend a bunch of cash on it that I simply do not have. That includes the Sears easy-outs that I need to buy to get siezed idle mixture screws out. You gotta pace yourself.

11. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

nice looking bike. wondering what ever happened to them. i don't think i've even seen one floating around these parts and i wouldn't mind having one. much better looking then the earlier models.

12. carbineken

carbineken Member

Ditto on that one! If I don't bleed at some point on whatever project I'm working, it don't work when I'm done.

13. handyman

handyman Member

heck I bought a bike an xj this april and I'm finally at the fine tuning stage.

Bike literally in pieces. Didn't need to make a deal with the Devil because I have my XJ brothers and sisters here for help and encouragement.

Thank God for this site. And yes as Rick says things go into another dimension and nothing else matters until the bike is just right.

To bad I'm not satisfied yet or maybe its just OCD. Hahahahahah.

14. Vedalkin

Vedalkin Member

I'm simply not that analytical. I got mine with 28k miles on it, changed the oil and filter a couple times. Put tires on it. Bench synced/colortuned/mano'ed. I have proceeded to ride the crap out of it. She sure isn't the prettiest bike on the block. Nor do I worry if the redneck in front of me flicks a bugger on it. She starts and runs great... I occasionally take a rag to the bugs that build up... I don't slack on maintenance however, so don't get me wrong. My brakes are up to spec and I don't slack on tires. I don't have much money in it(maybe less than $1500)

Sure I could go all out and tear down the engine, polishing every part, but I simply don't have the patience to. It's not a Harley, and I don't feel the need to compete with the chromed out dragon farts. I'm a Jeep guy. Always owned Jeeps. I don't baby them, and they don't baby me. Guess that's where that mentality comes from.

...Run it till it breaks, then fix it...