1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

trying to lean out my carbs!!!!!!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mafia101, Jun 14, 2010.

1. mafia101

mafia101 Member

O.k I finally got around to trying to lean out my carbs and did the following. On the top of the carbs (near the hats)are the tiny brass mixture screws. I went to make a small tweak to one of the screws and found that it took hardly anything to move it. It feels real loose and I was just curious if that is correct. It seems like this should have some resistance but mine are so loose that it seems like if I breath on it then it might change.I did go ahead and make a small tweak all 4 because all of my cylinders are real rich (black plugs). I turned them in about 1/16th of a turn or so.

2. Vedalkin

Vedalkin Member

If your running "real rich" a small 1/16th of a turn probly wont help much.

Did you check to see if the loose one was around the same turns out as the rest? I would try turning them all in, then back out 2.5 turns and then see how she runs and do a plug chop.

If you can afford it, buy a colortune....

3. mafia101

mafia101 Member

If I turn them all in THEN OUT 2.5 TURNS will that have any effect on the balance of the carbs ( I think its the bigger screw that syncs 1~2 together and 3~4 together. I dont have any tools yet ( sync meter etc.). I just want to try to make it a bit more lean. I have a bad cell phone pic in order from left to right 1,2,3,4. As you can see 1 ~2 are closer then 3~4. I think what you by a plug chop is getting on it and taching up for a bit to heat the plug? Not sure but it`s most likely a bad guess. I took it for a quick ride around the block getting on it a bit. "RickCoMatic" sent me a good procedure for tuning but I have not got that far yet. What I can say is that when I give it alot of throttle it bogs at higher RPM`S. It takes off real good and idles fine. I need to read his procedure because he had some good advice.

4. mafia101

mafia101 Member

Here is a pic and also should the mixture screws be loose?

Attached Files:

5. mafia101

mafia101 Member

got about 10 seconds out of my digital camera--left to right 1-2-3-4.

Attached Files:

6. parts

parts Member

No, adj'ing mix screws will not affect carb bal. in fact many will
    save the air/mix adj untill after a carb balance.
    2 1/2 turns out is a perfect place to start. You should see results
    right away.
    A plug chop tells you how the cyl's are firing under load.

First adj the screws.

Then check at idle. if good. Take the bike down a road the has little
    traffic, and a safe shoulder to work on. scoot along at 5k ,
    pull in the clutch while hitting the kill switch. Check the plugs.

Of cource you really should do a carb cleaning/valve adj first,but
    you can still do the above with good results.

7. mafia101

mafia101 Member

So do I only need to go for a short distance? The guy I just bought it from said he did a rebuild and the carbs are pretty clean. I did the clunk test and it clunks...I did not dig real deep into the bike yet because it seems to run good and I dont want to do much until the fall. Ill post a link to you tube of the bike at idle so at least you can hear it run. I`m new to older bikes so I might be missing something. Right now I have it idleing at abot 1k or just under and it seems to idle fine. I am letting my digital cam charge so it will be a few minutes.

8. mafia101

mafia101 Member

9. Vedalkin

Vedalkin Member

From what I can tell from your video, she's not far off. I didn't detect the usual sync problem - "takes a while to rev down after throttling up". So your sync seems ok.

1&2 do look to be a bit lean and 3&4 look rich.

#2 looks funky, wish the pic was better, but it looks to show signs of advanced timing.

Your exhaust sounds nice. I could hear through the microphone distortion enough to contemplate it.

Like I said before, screw all your mixture screws in(careful not to over tighten) then back each out 2.5 turns. A true plug chop involves using new plugs to check proper burn in. However, if you just clean up/brush the ones you have so they are clean, so new deposits can accumulate, then you should still be able to get an accurate reading.

A quick run "up to the store and back" should suffice as far as getting a good plug chop. (8-10 miles)

Colortune is your friend... Invest in one... Trust me...

10. mafia101

mafia101 Member

I think when I get out of work I am going to do the move ( all the way in and 2.5 turns out). Hopefully this will help with my rich condition.

11. mafia101

mafia101 Member

Hey vedalkin how close can you get with a colortune? What I mean is can this actually be used to sync as well or this simply for air/fuel mixture? I hate syncing carbs and had a hell of a time with my car. I remember spending hours trying to sync up the carbs on my car and never got where I wanted them to be.

12. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

You can't sync the carbs with a colortune. It is a visual aid for tuning the pilot mixture. The procedure as described to me by others here and the one that I have followed (once) is to bench sync, color tune, sync with manometer and color tune again. I forgot to blank the YICS passage the first time so I will be doing it over this weekend. Though I got fairly good results the first time through, I don't see any reason not to do it right since I have the tools.

13. janevinnie

janevinnie Member

do you need to block the yics passage when you use colortune??

14. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

I never thought to ask that one! It is just a guess but I would think not. I didn't anyway.

15. Vedalkin

Vedalkin Member

Exactly.

The first time I colortuned I didn't have the YICS tool, so all I was able to do was bench sync and colortune. Then once I borrowed a YICS blocker, I then was able to manometer, and colortune again, with better results.

It's my opinion, that bench syncing, then colortuning without a YICS tool and a manometer, will get you fairly close, but not perfect. If your striving for perfection, a YICS tool, a manometer, and a Colotune are the way to go.

16. mafia101

mafia101 Member

Plugs from left to right after plug chop.
    left is 1,2,3,4,
    My guess is that they are as follows
    1- lean
    2- lean
    3- rich
    4- rich

At a light it takes off o.k but not scarry fast but sometimes when I get on it if I`m up at about 3~5k rpm it will bog a little then come on. Idles great and seems to run fairly smooth if I drive easy. Like I said a little sputter if I get on it but once it`s on it goes o.k

Attached Files:

17. mafia101

mafia101 Member

everytime I upload a picture it comes up with this stupid border. is there a way to get rid of it so the file can be better detailed?

18. mafia101

mafia101 Member

I took some time and adjusted all the screws all the way in and 2.5 out. This really did get it close. It looks like I might be just a hair lean now on 3 out 4 cylinders and pretty god on the 4th. It`s tough to tell because of how black my pugs were to start with. I might actually buy new plugs. The other thing I found was that the gaps were way off on 3 plugs. 1 was almost completely closed and the other 2 were at about .015". The 4th was at about .030" so that was o.k.

19. mafia101

mafia101 Member

I talked with a few people about tweaking the mixture screws and some people go to the extreme of removing the tank to get to the sunken mixture screws. I went to walmart and bought a magnetic extension and put a flat head bit in it and it works pretty good. I just thought I would put this in here with a pic because it might help someone. The good thing is that you can select different size bits and it`s magnetic so It should stay in place. I suppose you could even glue it together if you needed. I also marked it with glyptol so I could easily count how many turns I am making.

Attached Files:

20. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

Mafia,

you can put larger pics by uploading them onto a hosting server(Picasa, ect) and embedding the image onto the post

Plugs clean themselves after a highway run, replace if necessary though as they do have a limited lifespan. After you replace allow them some time to "burn in" before you do another plug chop