1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

my winter project 81 650 maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by iwingameover, Dec 7, 2009.

1. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Next update. No pictures though I forgot the camera.

I have side covers made I will be making mounts for them tomorrow and will get some pics of the bike when I do.

The forwards were modified to allow the footpeg to break away and are remounted to the bike.

The exhaust fabrication is complete. A little weld clean up and then it's time for the exhaust wrap.

I need to complete my new rear wiring harness and mount it to the inside of the fender then it'll be time for paint.

2. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

where are you going to put your license plate/brake light? If you're going to make a sidemount dealio would you be interested in making two at the same time and selling me one? :D

3. iwingameover

The plate I've mounted with the original bracket so that the bottom of the plate sits flush with the bottom of the rear feder.

I'm lighting it up with these: http://www.customdynamics.com/illuminat ... _Tag_Bolts

I bought the black ones with the rear facing red and tag light combo. I'll have pics of the plate mounting and tail lights tomorrow.

4. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

cool.... I still have to figure out signals, bake/license plate mount, and gauges.

5. iwingameover

Here are the picture updates.

Tag location with the LED tag bolts

[​IMG]

Front:

[​IMG]

Side:

[​IMG]

Rear:

[​IMG]

The pipes look a little crooked in the picture but the bike is on an angle.

6. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

what are we getting ready to paint here? I haven't done anything to the XJ bike, but the XJ HEEP got a LOT of attention today. I now have a passenger floor :D I still have a few small patches to take care of in the back tomorrow and then this weekend I'll have time to do the bedliner and attempt to fit the WJ leather seats in it. FINALLY! some progress.

7. iwingameover

What beadliner are you using? I did the herculiner about 5 years ago. It's ok but without carpet it's hot! Wear gloves! and if you need a laugh goolge herculiner and hootus.

I've got passanger floor on the list there's a nice new hole in the back infront of the rear seat and my patches are starting to run into other patches.

For the bike paint I have duplicolor metalcast blue with the metal color groundcoat with some gunmetal vinyl flames for the tank. That I'll then clear over. I've got to sort out my rear wire harness holders in the rear fender then it'll get torn down for paint.

8. seaguy

seaguy Member

Will the blue mufflers match the tank and fenders?

9. iwingameover

The mufflers are tape wrapped to keep the chrome on them from getting dinged up and the exhaust is going to be wrapped and painted gunmetal too except the mufflers.

10. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

hahahaahaha....blue mufflers

I need to get some wrap for my exhaust too.

I'm using U-POL Raptor for the bedliner. I used it on my TJ and LOVE the stuff. It comes in a kit with the gun and goes on easy as shit. I got all the patches done today, but no way to get to the store for more supplies until the wife gets home. I want to finish sealing all around the patches on top and underneath. I'm using a window adhesive/sealant like you use when installing a windshield. It was cheaper than automotive adhesive. Then I want to get it undercoated (rattle cans) and the inside primed. I'll spray the bedliner next week, but I want it all protected for now. I just have to decide if I'm going to buy FatMat to line the floor with to battle the heat or if I'm going to just see how this aluminum coating for roofs that I bought at Home Depot for cheap works. I don't know....

Hurry up and get that paint done. I want to see how it comes out.

11. iwingameover

I spent some time on it today. Got the underseat cover finished and the rear fender wire holding tabs welded in. Tomorrow night after work I'm going to start the bondo work and hopefully be ready to paint this weekend.

Good news for me, bad news for the bike progess, I picked up a part time job to fill in my cut hours from my normal job. Good because once I get the bike finished I'll be able to afford gas for it. Bad because now it's back to nights and weekends working on it and I'm out of state first week of july. I'd love to use that time to let the paint cure!

12. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

good for you on the 2nd job, but sorry you need it :(

I did some more work on the HEEP's floor today. I got all th patches done and sealed on the inside and about 3/4 of the underside done. I ran out of the window sealant/adhesive which was like a silicone kinda of dealio, so I went to Walmart and picked up some more stuff, but this time I got Liquid nails roof patch stuff. It's like f'n tar. It's messy as hell to work with, one tube doesn't go as far as the other silicone stuff, but I think it's perfect for the underneath. I just need to pick some more up tomorrow. I also got the underneath and inside primed. Then I layed the custom mats inside and it looks great. I can't wait to finish it up.

Why am I putting all of this in here and not my build thread on jeepforum.com

hahahahahaha

sorry man

13. shoeman502

shoeman502 New Member

Awesome! Can you send me a copy of the CAD file? We use Soldworks, but I can convert pretty much any kind of CAD file.

shoeman502@gmail.com

14. iwingameover

CAD file is in your inbox.

I'll try and remember the camera tonight when I get over there to work on it for more updates.

15. iwingameover

Ok picture update. It was far too hot to do any bondo work it dried way too fast and I mixed it right. So the fenders and tank are now in my basement and will be bondoed in the air conditioning tomorrow.

Got some parts that don't need filler primered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the color I'm going to do. I think it should look pretty f'ing sweet.

[​IMG]

My plan is to get it sprayed this weekend so the metalcast can cure completely while I'm out of state for a week

16. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

hurry up tomorrow, so I can see some updates here :D

17. iwingameover

Ok faithful followers the metal work is painted. No pics though because I forgot the camera.

I have a dimple in my finger from the bomb cans! I painted the tank, fenders, seat, side covers, and my under seat cover.

I used 6 cans of primer, 4 cans metal cast ground coat and 4 cans of color coat.

Now the metalcast says it needs 7 days to cure. Which is fine by me I leave for the desert for 5 days on wednesday.

When I return I'll put on the vinyl flames, clear coat it and finally be on the road.

18. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

aaaaahhhhh..... I WANT PICS!!!!

I know what you mean about the pain of rattle cans. I was using both hands and thumbs to do the bedliner on the side of my HEEP :D

Can't wait to see this man!

19. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

exciting to see it come along so far, cant wait to see it all painted up.

20. iwingameover

So I sprayed the metalcast before I left for vacation. Came back and was not pleased. THe blue did not turn out nearly as nice on the tank and fdenders as it did the valvecover. So it got sanded off and reprimed. Just today I resprayed it with rustoleum hammer bark blue. I had hammer black on it before and was pleased with it. I'll get picks.