1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

20 min. warmup, normal???

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by protomillenium, Jun 27, 2010.

1. protomillenium

protomillenium Member

I read this in an eBay listing and I don't beleve it, how 'bout you?
    “1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca II

This is a very nice motorcycle & is very easy to ride. This is the Second Seca II I have owned. Comfortable enough to go on long rides, sporty enough to have alot of fun, and every bit as fast as I have ever wanted to go on two wheels. Only 8,432 miles on this bike. Barely even broken in. I do not have the room to store this bike any more and unfortunately it has got to go. This is a used motorcycle and is not in "mint" condition. There are no major problems with the motorcycle and I still ride it. The only thing about this motorcycle that I do not like is that it has to run for like 20 min. or better before you ride it. I have spoken to other owners of this same model and to a couple of Yamaha Motorcycle technicians and everyone has said that is normal for this model.”
    Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-Yam ... 3cae425616

2. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

20 minutes to warm up in... December? I don't that these days it should take more than a couple of minutes, with barely any choke needed...

3. Galamb

Galamb Member

It takes about 5 minutes to warm up mine. Don't forget, it is air cooled and if not riding it, no air is cooling it down.
    If you are just idling for that long, you might need to use a large fan to cool it down.

4. Vedalkin

Vedalkin Member

+1

I usually roll mine out of the garage, choke it, fire it up, then proceed to put on my helmet/gloves/shades/close the garage door, etc... In between I lower the choke as the idle goes up as she warms. Kinda like a ritual for me. By the time I'm geared up she's ready to roll.

5. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Sounds like a clueless seller that had no idea/desire to clean/adjust carbs, valves, etc.

6. mrmekon

mrmekon Member

My Maxim takes 15 - 20 minutes before it will idle smoothly, but that's definitely a carb problem and not normal.