1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How To Adjust Floats

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by TobsMaxim, Jun 30, 2010.

1. TobsMaxim

TobsMaxim New Member

Hey just put new needles and seats in my 81 Maxim 650, and now I need to adjust my floats. How do I do this, and does anyone have any picts?

2. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

carbs upside down. base of carb without the gasket and bowl. very front of float. (farthest away from needle). top of float needs to be 16-18 mm. measure all 8 floats. try to get em ALL as close to 17 as possible.

i used a little screwdriver to bend the float tang on top of the needle. i would take needle nose pliers and grab hold of the clip. gently lifting the clip up as far as it goes and letting the float fall back down on it's own pressure. do that couple of times. then measure the float on both sides.

mine are at 18 right now. but i had them as low as 14mm at one time. bike ran no different between 14 and 18.

that's the procedure i've been using for 25 years on bikes. and the 12 years i did cars before fuel injection took over and i retired from mechanics to take on a different career.

others seem to use a carb tilted at 45 degree method. so there seems to be a wide variety of ways to accomplish the task.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's a STARTING POINT. Thne you use a clear tube, and see where the fuel actually fillls to, as outlined in both aftermarket and factory service manuals.

Gotta do the final check "wet" using the "clear tube method." Dry setting is good but it really doesn't tell you exactly where each needle/valve combo finally does its work, and the tolerance is small. (within 3mm.)

4. TobsMaxim

TobsMaxim New Member

Thanks guys, cant wait to give it a try after work. I will let you know how it goes

5. TobsMaxim

TobsMaxim New Member

So I got all the floats back on, and got one adjusted now just 3 more to go and I can ride again