1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

enrichment well question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Militant_Buddhist, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

I've had the bowls off a couple of times and can only get carb spray to squirt through one of the wells. I tried soaking it in the bucket o carb cleaner. I tried poking a piece of fishing line in there. As I understand it there are jets of some kind down in there so I am reluctant to pick at it with anything stiffer.

Anybody have any suggestions before I try a pot of brake fluid on a hot plate?

2. cheezy66

cheezy66 New Member

try a bread bag twist tie. i've also read that pine-sol is a great carb cleaner. the bread bag tie that i used was metal, but very soft. worked like a charm. you could also use a twist tie from a garbage bag.

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I would try the "heat with torch, then guitar string" method.
    I've used a single strand from a wire brush.

4. yamaman

yamaman Member

guitar string for sure. the carb cleaner they sell today, in the 1 gallon pale from the auto parts store, Sucks. I don't know what it cleans but it aint carbs. that damn well was the only reason I ever been in a music store lol

5. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

mini welding tip cleaning set with very delicate hands to not enlarge the hole
    But the guitar string sounds good too

6. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

hmm... I have it as a rule for myself not to poke at brass jets with any kind of steel wire but now that I think about it THESE jets are far from critical. I think I will soak them in HOT brake fluid and if a few heat cycles through that doesn't free up the crud I'll try a piece of cheap (likely to be soft ie garbage bag tie) wire. Thanks for your input guys. With any luck it will free up my frozen drain screws too.

assfault, I never thought of a welding tip cleaner set as something I should keep in my "all around" or "moto" tool boxes. Thanks for the tip.

7. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

I had a set of carbs the PO drilled the jets in those wells out. I would set the choke lever and it was so rich it looked like I was running a diesel engine on that bike. I changed the float bowls and now its fine. So if you don't think that reeming those jets out won't make much difference think again.

MN