1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 Maxim Hardtail Question

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by NGDI, Jul 9, 2010.

1. NGDI

NGDI New Member

Hey guys. Newb here. I bought my first bike, a 1982 Maxim 650, a couple of years ago and that's when I found this site. I lurked around for about a year and gathered some great information. I ran into a few problems and ended up parking the bike after one summer of riding. Luckily the problems weren't with the motorcycle itself, but because of a clerical mistake (vin typo) on the title that was done in another state. Still, it was enough of a headache to make me park it and I haven't been on it since. Mistake...I know. I've since decided to resurrect it. This leads me to my question (the reason this intro is in the Modifications section).

I want to hardtail my Maxim and was wondering about how much tubing I would need to do this. I have a friend who is a machinist and he thinks he can get me some 1" OD 11GA tubing but I didn't know how much to tell him to get.

2. Plumber

Plumber Member

between top rails, bottom rails and cross members I think I used about three meters. Bottm line is you'll use more than you think and it depends entirley on your design.

Good luck

3. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

10 foot stick should do it.

4. NGDI

NGDI New Member

Thanks guys!

5. KennyNapalm

KennyNapalm Member

6. johnlaw

johnlaw Member

Dido... I burnt up almost 10' but its plenty to make a few mistakes.

7. NGDI

NGDI New Member

My buddy got me 10' from his work. I'm not sure when we'll be able to start working on it because he works 3rd shift and I work 1st, but we'll figure something out. I'm planning on doing a military theme bobber. I'll post pics as soon as it's finished. Thanks again everybody!

8. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

we dont just want finished pics, we want the whole storey pics, lets see the progress as you go through it.

9. NGDI

NGDI New Member

Oh I've already started taking pics of the disassembly. I'll try to document the best I can. I've got another question -

This site has pod filters listed for an XJ 650 as 54mm. I think I read a thread somewhere on here that said 52mm. Do I need to get smaller ones since I'm going to be hardtailing it?