1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Keep breaking clutch cables

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by daveflick, Jul 11, 2010.

1. daveflick

daveflick Member

I keep breaking clutch cables right at the end that goes into the hand lever. The first one made sense since i had just gotten the bike and it had been in the weather. The cable was obviously rusty and very hard to operate when I took it off. But the replacement broke in the same place which i just figured was maybe a fluke, but now it felt a little funny and there was some clicking, so I inspected it and a few of the strands are breaking right where they connect to the end. Am i doing something wrong? each cable has lasted 6 or 8 months. Any ideas on what's going on or what to look for is greatly appreciated.

2. jeffdodge

jeffdodge Member

Does your bike sit outside? If not check the handle for sharp spots maybe?

3. daveflick

daveflick Member

It does sit outside. i'll take it apart and look for sharp edges and such. Good idea! anybody else got any?

4. jeffdodge

jeffdodge Member

maybe they are rotting from sitting outside, though I couldnt imagine that unless its really humid where you live, but I would imagine you would have lots of rust if that was the case.

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

If you keep breaking them off at the Lever End ...
    The Barrel-end is getting pinched.
    The Cable isn't in the Lever groove right.
    The Barrel end isn't swiveling.
    The Barrel end surround bushing is missing,
    The Lever Barrel end capture slot and groove is filthy.

6. dinoracer

dinoracer Member

Second what Rick has said but will ad the following. Do you still have the rubber boot that goes over the clutch cable where it connects to the clutch handle? It's probably not there and if you ride in even slightly dusty area's you are inviting dirt. When its combined with oil it will make a very abrasive paste. Either clean and lube every thousand miles or buy a boot for it and lubricate every 1001 miles :) that should keep your clutch cable happy.

7. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

does the bike turn over strong? if not the engine might be grounding through the cable. very very rare, highly unlikely, i have seen it twice (once on a quad and once on a VW beetle). the high amperage running through it weakens the cables usually right at the ends where it has the most resistance.

check the other suggestions first as they are much more likely causes. if all else fails, take the cable off at the bars, and check for voltage with a meter between the cable and good ground while cranking the engine.

8. RickCoMatic

I would say that the engine grounding itself through the clutch cable at the clutch lever perch is, really-really, really-really rare.

I was wondering if just how rare could be accurately expressed.

There's less of a chance that the engine is grounding itself through the clutch cable than you riding along the road and suffering a front and rear blow-out by riding over a razor-sharp chunk of Einsteinium.

(At the very bottom of the Periodic Table is where you will find some man-made Elements [such as Einsteinium] that only physically existed for fractions of seconds, and only one single atom of which existed at a time. That's pretty rare.)

9. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

i would say its as rare as a post from rick that lacks superciliousness. but Einsteinium blowout analogy works too i guess?

10. schooter

schooter Active Member

ROFLCOPTER

Might as add my own simile

It's as rare as a New Holland beating a John Deere in any mannor of competition.

Sure, not as clever, but it get my poke.

11. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

now thats just BS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. johno8

johno8 Member

I had the same problem with my clutch cables...broke 3 of them in the same place too. I checked and rechecked everything that Rick mentioned above, still didn't help. Found out that the replacement cables I was buying were too flimsy (you get what you pay for) so I went BIG. I bought a Harley clutch cable. This monster could tie up the Queen Mary!! I've got no more cable snapping issues and the clutch pull is not bad.

13. daveflick

daveflick Member

Bought new clutch cable today and will let you know what I find. Perhaps I could find one made of unobtanium!!

14. daveflick

daveflick Member

I assume if something at the other end is in a bind that could cause the problem. but how do I tell? the pull seems fine especially compared to the rusted piece of junk I replaced!

15. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

sometimes cable routing can cause excess friction, you may be able to change the routing slightly to get a little less stress.

try taking the cable off the clutch end and pulling the lever, it should be super easy to pull.

16. RickCoMatic

We haven't discussed the possibility of the LEVER being at fault.

The Lever needs to have the Cable-end Bullet-capture Port be cleaned and not out-of-shape after suffering a fall-over or some other damage to the Lever.

If the Cable is being chafed by a bent part of a damaged Lever; you'll have to replace the Lever or make repairs to yours.

If the Cable-end Bullet-caputure Port is --> Out of Round <-- the Bullet-end will not swivel and begin placing repetitive bending on the Cable-end strands until they ultimately are fatigued and part.

Adjust the Cable so that there is NO Slack at the Lever.
    But, make sure the Bullet-end is:
    a) In the Cavity
    b) The cable pushed through the slot and brought to Cable Sheath for alignment.

Those Cables are supposes to go a long while before they fail.

Is vandalism a possibility?

17. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

AHEM.

Did you LUBE the NEW cable, or just install it? It needs to be lubed, and NOT with WD40.

A binding lever won't break cables.

Do you have the complete 2-piece rubber "bootie" over the cable perch, lever pivot and adjuster? If not, it's a "must" especially since the bike lives outside.

18. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

how about the clutch being a little bit on the stiff side??????

that was my problem on one of the bikes i had.

you say it pulls fine. but how fine is fine?

19. RickCoMatic

What ever is going on, ... to be going through Clutch Cables that often ... when others are still on the one Yamaha put-on ... means that something is fundamentally wrong.

20. daveflick

daveflick Member

I agree in principal with Rick that something is probably wrong somewhere. but I still haven't figured it out. Today's quick repair after i ate lunch didn't reveal any obvious defects. The broken cable still looks to be in good condition with no rust and it operated smoothly. I did remove the lever and inspected for sharp edges but found none. When the cable started to fail, I noticed the strands furthest from the handle bars were fraying. If it were mechanical friction at the lever I would expect to see the strands closest to the hand grip to fail.

Would you suggest some heavy grease between the "bullet" and the lever?