1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Engine guard - will this fit my XJ700N maxim?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by FinnogAngela, Dec 9, 2006.

1. FinnogAngela

FinnogAngela Member

Got a pic of these from a German seller - should be original Yamaha for XJ650 or similar..

Anyone seen them before?

Asked the seller if the width is adjustable and for a modelno. but no reply yet.

Attached Files:

2. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

I'm trying to imagine how it would mount, Finn. The way I'm thinking, the exhaust would get in the way.

Z

EDIT: For grammar.

3. FinnogAngela

FinnogAngela Member

Right; me too.

Got reply from seller, claiming it will fit all XJ´s without "snowplough" (don´t know if that´s the english name for it...).

He explains the mounting but my german is worse than my english.

I´ll see if I can get him to clarify, so I´m able to picture it in my head - and maybe take some meaures...

4. OU812didntU

OU812didntU Member

I have seen these type of guards before Finn in a local bike shop where i live and they will not fit your bike!!!!. i actually purchased them and when i went to install them they were not even close, the exhaust pipes are in the way and also there needs to be a step in the bracket where it attaches to the lower part of the frame, the bike shop told me the same thing that they will fit my 85 xj700n maxim and they were wrong. luckily i returned them for my money back in full. am sure somwhere they are suitable for a bike but just not ours.

Save your Money Finn and a bit of headache.

5. Maxim700

Maxim700 Member

I have not tried this type of engine guards but I agree with the other posters, I don't think they will fit. I have two piece guards that the previous owner never fit to my 700. They are Yamaha but for a different model. ( 900 was mentioned but that is not a common bike here so I am not sure. They are made for a bike with a longer distance between mounts.) I drove for a year with just the upper two bolts and had no problems. I figured that the two bolts were better than nothing if I dropped the bike and in practice I found that they were solid when I used the Highway pegs. Thankfully, I have not tested the drop survival and have recently made an adapter out of aluminum plate to attach the lower mount.

6. FinnogAngela

FinnogAngela Member

Hi guys, thanks for your answers

Wrote the seller with an attached pic of the engine mounts on my bike and asked if he was able to provde mounting-instructions according to that ...

- but I think you´re right; can´t imagine how it would fit...

Attached Files:

7. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

Hmmm, I can see them fitting between the engine and frame and mounting to the front bottom (left in pic) frame mount but don't put money on it.;)

If you need a translator for German I have a german mate over here that would be happy to help. Just PM me the reply and I'll get him to decipher it better than google can.;)

8. FinnogAngela

FinnogAngela Member

Hi Goon

Thanks, I pm´ed you (also gonna try the maillist as I know there are a few who might be able to translate..)

(-also asked the seller if he could reply in english in my last mail but no reply yet)

By the way, checked your site about the wildebeest; very inspirational pics and descriptions of your project - looking forward to updates..

9. FinnogAngela

FinnogAngela Member

Ok; got this pic explaining the mount...

So; have asked for a pic of the lower brackets angle towards the tube (to make sure it clears the bolt in front of it) as well as a height meaurement to veryfy it clears the upper "triangled" engine mount.

So, Goon - a picture says more than a thousand words - so no need to bother your mate with the translation, but thanks anyway.

more to come...

Attached Files:

10. OU812didntU

OU812didntU Member

i tried this with the ones i bought, i found to clear the bolt on the bottom it hits the triangle bracket at the top........and to clear the triangle bracket at the top the bolt on the bottom comes into play, maybe you will have more luck than i did. i have a detailed drawing of the originals with measurements that are supposed to be for the 85 xj700n maxim if you want them pm me and i`ll send them to you, maybe you could fabricate your own.

11. OU812didntU

OU812didntU Member

they look like these:

Attached Files:

12. FinnogAngela

FinnogAngela Member

Hi OU812didntU

Thanks; yes, it was with your 1.st reply in mind I´ve asked for detailed pics and measurements. We´ll see how that goes..

I´d very much like a copy of the drawing for the originals. Often thought the best solution was to find a local way to get things like these (as well as backrests, luggage rack, brackets etc.) fabricated..

13. OU812didntU

OU812didntU Member

I left you a private messege Finn.

14. FinnogAngela

FinnogAngela Member

Thanks, OU812didntU; mailed you..