1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Front Master Cylinder Assy - Plesae help

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by shoeman502, Jul 26, 2010.

1. shoeman502

shoeman502 New Member

I am having trouble with the master cylinder rebuild kit I'm installing. I'm pretty sure the assembly goes like this: spring, rubber cap, plunger, angled rubber seal, snap ring, and rubber cover. If that is not correct - please let me know.
    The question I have is: does the angled rubber seal go on the plunger at the end or do you have to work it past/over the large part of the plunger? and which way does the angle side go (towards the bike or away)?
    I hope I described so it can be understood. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Which XJ are you working on? Put in your signature so we can know. Most XJ master cylinders assemble the same. Your parts order seems correct, the main cup seal goes around the plunger on the first grove with the cup opening facing the spring.

3. shoeman502

shoeman502 New Member

The bike is a 1981 XJ 650. I put the cylinder together and no fluid is pumped to the front brake. I blew air through all the lines and they are clear. I squeeze the brake lever and it is soft and will not build up pressure. What do I try next?

4. pathebert

pathebert Member

There are small holes in the bottom of the master cylinder reservior that go into the plunger cylinder make sure they are'nt clogged

5. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Master cylinder bleeding can be a pain. Try bench bleeding first. With the master cylinder off the bike sit in a comfy chair and fill the resovoir with fluid. Put your finger over the outlet hole and keep pressure on it, your finger will act like a check valve. Pump the brake lever and fluid will squirt out around your finger. Do this a few times until most of the air is out. Put it back on the bike and bleed normally. I usually do this with the master off so I don't get brake fluid all over the bike.
    If you have a vacuum bleeder it would be easier, sucking the fluid through to the caliper is less messy.

6. wizard

wizard Active Member

loosen the banjos at the calliper, you'll soon see some fluid, tighten back up & carry on bleeding. I can take time with a dry MC

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I've found the quickest way to bleed the mastercylinder is to just barely move the lever for awhile. You''ll see a steady stream of bubbles coming up from the holes at the bottom. (make sure that you get those holes clear!) I guess the best way to describe the action would be to just "tickle" the master cylinder piston. If you go cranking on it, you'll just re-pump the air.

Keep at it, you'll get it. Above all, don't let yourself get frustrated. Keep reminding yourself of that. Frustration leads to hotheaded actions, and I usually end up breaking (no pun intended) something else. If frustration starts, make yourself take a break (now it's intended) and go get something to drink, eat, etc...... go back when you're cool, calm, and collected.

We're here to help, so if you get stuck, ask away.

Dave