1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I'm a statistic, got laid off...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Robert, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Robert

Robert Active Member

Hello everyone,
    Yes, it has been a while. As all of us can attest, the economy blows right now. My company saw fit to downsize and laid off about 1/3 of it's workforce. This unfortunately included me. So I dutifully filled out my unemployment papers and started shopping for a new job. I interviewed yesterday with a new company but won't find out if I got the job until today sometime. I'm on pins and needles. Can't say I like life without knowing how I will support my family. Until I land the job, anyone got anything for an electronics tech with God-like soldering skills?
    Be well,
    Robert.

2. schooter

schooter Active Member

that's terrible, I really hope you get the job. if it were affordable and possible, i'd send you my whole wiring harness to properly do what i half assed cuz i am not feeling the burn

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

Schoot, I'd gladly do if for you for parts and shipping. Pleas use my email, not pm.

4. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Sorry to hear that Robert. We're all on part time here at my company. I do Civil Engineering, Metro D.C.

We don't count as a "lay-off" or "unemployed" so I suppose that helps the government numbers. Luckily I'm able to fill my cut hours with a part time job doing the same thing for a different company on my "off" days. Though some weeks it feels like I'm doing everything twice.

5. anthrhelping

anthrhelping Member

Hey Robert keep your head up. I worked for MSU and they closed the place I was working at and my last day was December 23 (Mary Christmas) How does a big A** university close down a complete devision. Any ways keep your head up. I did find work but I have to travel 55 miles one way to work every day. The drive sucks but we do what we must. Good luck Man.

6. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

Bummer to hear Robert.

I could scare up a little work but the commute to Allentown PA would be a bitch.

7. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

that sucks man! i'm in the same boat, was told by my superior that they can't afford to pay for me anymore but can stay for a couple more months with reduced hours.

i'm looking for work in san diego if anybody knows someone looking to hire a pc repair tech who is heavily certified..

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Mine is 56-58 miles; I was in the same boat 5 years ago but in those days the unemployment ran out after 13 weeks. And it did (run out.)

Still employed (barely, had a close call last month) still driving 120 a day but it still beats being out of work.

HANG IN THERE; believe it or not, IT (Information Tech) is picking up, even here in MI.

9. wizard

wizard Active Member

That is bad news, Robert, I hope you get fixed up real soon.
    Me, I'm retired, so they can't fire me.
    P.S. I don't think your new president has lived up to expectations. :eek:(
    Good luck, Wiz.

10. pitmonster

pitmonster New Member

Hey Robert,go to every proffesional motorsport event you can and have a box full of resume's with you. Go down pit lane or through the padock and pass them out to every crew chief you can find. You may be surprised! I know,I have been if proffesional motorsports for many years and that's how new people break into the sport. Sounds like you may have a background that would be of use in the IRL or ALMS for sure. Good luck to you.

11. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Interesting post Wiz! First, I must admit that you are a very astute man. A majority of the country was pretty sure that all would be right with the economy in our part of the world by now. Uh huh!

The second interesting part of your post is your disclosure of the fact that you're retired! Explains how you can take a rusted up old POS bike and make it better than new (except for the cam chain :( ) in just a few months.

It is such a treat to follow your builds.

Loren

12. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Fine example of "the madness of the crowds".....

13. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

That sucks, went through it a few years ago when Hershey packed up out of here and opened a new plant in Mexico...... Rode out my severance package and then had a new job just after my unemployment started, collected a week and a half of benefits, then back at her....

14. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

8O I almost thought this thread was headed in a whole new direction for a minute there.

15. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

...too old to be hired and too young to be retired!
    That's my story, used to build trucks for a living (17yrs.) then the plant closed (March 2009) and, you guessed it, moved to MEXICO (go fish ZaGhost)
    Must have sent out hundreds of resumes and applications, but no joy here.
    Don't know how it works South of the border, but in Ontario any job I have applied for requires at least three previous employers for reference...the killer is they also ask for high school transcripts.
    You don't have to be a math Wiz to figure out that if I graduated in 1974 that I'm in my 50's and TOO OLD, er, I mean, "You are not a good fit with our requirements"!
    So I collect my "pogey" til it runs out and then.....
    More information as the story develops!

Hmmm, sorta hacked your thread Robert, but it helps to vent once in a while.

16. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

here ya go #1355 you could do this, you could be my boss, but ya have to like some snow :)

17. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

[quote="Maxim-X]You don't have to be a math Wiz to figure out that if I graduated in 1974 that I'm in my 50's and TOO OLD, er, I mean, "You are not a good fit with our requirements"!
    So I collect my "pogey" til it runs out and then.....
    More information as the story develops![/quote]

I know exactly what you are saying Maxim-X my company was bought out by an American out fit called "MetalsUSA" within one year we went from 50 employees to 15 in the shop. I was a supervisor and the only job they had for me was one one of the lines. Because of seniority they could not lay me off. As I have server osteoarthritis in my right hip and shoulder and three bad disc in my lower back I guess they figured I would quit. But due to our wonderful "Workers Safety Insurance Board" here in Ontario my doctor pulled me off the job. Much to the dismay of the new owners.
    Now that was three years ago the WSIB wasn't willing to pay for my retraining, I was 57 at the time and the company insisted there was no other work the WSIB in there infinite wisdom knew I could not find another job with my disabilities all work related as I'm left handed and all the bad things where happening on the right. Right shoulder right knee right side of the disc in my back.
    They pensioned me off and I receive full pay I know it's only supposed to be 80 percent but I had been putting in a lot of over time and I get yearly cost of living and its all non taxable. And I mess with my bikes and old truck. Because of the back I just have to be careful and pace myself.
    Sorry for getting off topic Robert .

18. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Yep, i was out of work for 10 months back since July 2009. Luckily i found an awesome job, and i'm lovin it now. It is an adjustment tho going from doing whatever i want every day, to only havin 2 days off a week, but i'm not gunna complain at all as it's income, and i enjoy it.

19. hbennick

hbennick Member

Time to recreate yourself! Go pick up "48 days to work you love". I went from happy-enough IT consultant with a decent salary to Wow I live my job and I'm making a bunch of cash Biz Dev Director during my last layoff!

20. Robert

Robert Active Member

Thanks for the well wishes gang, I appreciate them.
    WOW! Guess I should be counting my blessings that I'm not in half the trouble I'm hearing about on this thread!
    On to the good news:
    I signed an offer with the former director of my former company today! Check out coolplanetbiofuels.com to see what I'll be up to next! I start Tuesday!
    They are even in the same building as my old job so I get to take lunch with the old crowd. How cool is that?
    Glad to have that all over with (for the foreseeable future anyway). My former company paid out a nice severance and all of my vacation so I'm debt free with some change to pop into savings. Next stop, hitting the books to bone up on PLCs and Controllers.