1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hose off of cylinder 1?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by gratscot, Aug 8, 2010.

1. gratscot

gratscot Member

Hey guys I have a quick question.
    My bike has a hose coming off of the rubber tubing in between the carb and cylinder 1. Its about 7-8" long and its not connected to anything. All of the other carbs have the hole this hose is connected to sealed off. I was wondering what the hose is for and if its spos to be connected to something?

Thanks,
    Gratscot

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The Fuel Petcock is Vacuum Operated.
    A Vacuum Hose from one Manifold to the Fuel Petcock is Stock.

The Hose runs from the Intake Manifold's Vacuum Port - to - the Rear of the Fuel Petcock ... where it connects to the Petcocks Vacuum Port.

If you hose is NOT Connected to anything you need to make some changes for Safety.

1) Place the Petcock Switch to FUEL --> Not --> PRI
    (PRI = Prime. The Fuel Valve is always OPEN placing you at risk for flooding the Crankcase with Fuel.

2) Connect the Vacuum Line to the Petcock and let Vacuum Open and Close the Fuel Valve.

3. gratscot

gratscot Member

So I connect the hose to the petcock when its set to on? (The arrow on the thing wont turn to fuel the little blockers wont let it turn that far.) And then ride my bike like that?

Then when my bike runs out of fuel that way I can turn it to res and get to a gas station correct?

Also "on" wont let gas get through then line while the bike is off because there is no vacuum right?

The "pri" function is to get gas through the petcock when the bike is off? (To empty the tank for whatever reason reason?)

4. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

Yes to all the above.

Ideally when you start sputtering after 120Km or so you should have time to switch to reserve while rolling and high-tail it to a gas station. the XJs operate on a vacuum operated petc0ck, so if all is well gas will flow when you press the start button on "ON/RES" only, unless you have it set to PRIME like Rick mentioned, where Gas will flow all the time, only being stopped by the float valves...

5. gratscot

gratscot Member

Sweet thanks, perhaps thats why my bike was flooding alot.

Thanks for the help guys

6. Galamb

Galamb Member

Now that you had it on PRIME for so long, make sure there is no gas mixed with your oil.

7. gratscot

gratscot Member

The normal engine oil? I just changed that 100 miles ago so should be ok. But that might explain why there was 2x the amount of oil there should of been coming out of it when I changed it. figured the previous owner was just carless.

Gotta love people who really take good care of their stuff.

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You missed the point. If your floats aren't working correctly or are set too high, the carbs may be dumping fuel into the crankcase at every opportunity, so you need to check the oil for gas, periodically, until you're sure you don't have an onging problem.

If EVERYTHING is working properly you should be able to leave the petcock on PRI with no ill effect. If you get gas in the oil on PRI you have a float issue of some sort.