1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Float level setting for 81 550 seca ???

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by snake89, Aug 8, 2010.

1. snake89

snake89 New Member

help, i need the float level setting for my 81 550 seca. carbs are cleaned & rebuilt, this is all ive got left to get this baby running. my computer is down but i am checking email so sending it there would be great. snakezrx@hotmail.com ill try & check on here too. ok guys, time to get another seca on the road !!! thank for the help.............snake :D

2. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

3. snake89

snake89 New Member

anybody have the setting for setting them with the float bowl off & bending the tab ??? or does yamaha not list that method ???

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You're describing "dry setting" and Yamaha doesn't offer those specs.

You may find some posts on this site, but be careful most will deal with the Hitachi carbs fitted to the bigger bikes and not our Mikunis.

The "clear tube" method, using fuel, is the only true adjustment. Dry settings are only a starting point anyway.

5. Bargomer

Bargomer Member

Where can one acquire the correct clear tubing for setting the correct levels?

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Auto Parts store, Tractor supply... or chacal. He carries a tube with metric graduations printed on it if you really want to get precise.

Or stick a piece of masking tape on the side of the carb and mark the limits on it.

With the Mikunis, you will need some sort of an adapter or spigot to stick in the hole and attach the tubing to. I used one of the "junctions" that came with my Mity-Vac. Again, auto parts or XJ4Ever.

You want to try to take the measurements as close to the center of the side of the carbs as possible.