1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Thoughts on my leaky bike?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by antiorder, Aug 13, 2010.

1. antiorder

antiorder Member

She sprung a leak! Two spots... one from the bolt next to the tube coming out just above in front of the engine, I think it might be for odometer or rpm's? And the other from underneath the bike, probably where you drain the oil from.

I learn quickly but am stupid when it comes to jargon, so if you guys need pictures or anything, let me know. Any help would be appreciated.

It was leaking just a tiny bit before, but now one is more serious. I would like to get this fixed as soon as possible, I've got riding to do!

2. zacthepain

zacthepain New Member

yeah that sounds like the speedo cable, have you tried tightening it?
    The bottom leak may be the o-ring from the oil level sensor, its right on the bottom, on the oil pan.

3. antiorder

antiorder Member

Yes! Speedo cable indeed. I can't tighten it, as it's... taped. With electrical tape. Or maybe that's not the tightening you're referring to? But it seems like the bolt behind that cable is where the leaks coming from.

And I do think it's an o-ring problem from underneath, sounds like it might be the oil sensor. It's definitely right on the bottom, near the "oil cavity" as I will call it.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Pictures would be great! You gallery has some very impressive photography work, so let's doll-up those oil leaks and snap some pretty pictures of them........

The "one from the bolt next to the tube coming out just above in front of the engine" is kinda wordy, but........it sounds like you are describing the TACHOMETER DRIVE CABLE where it enter the CYLINDER HEAD.....there is an o-ring and an oil-seal on the tach drive mechanism which is a typical (and likely) source of that leak. You can try tightening the cable, where it screws onto the drive mechanism, and see if that helps a bit (sometimes the knurled "nut" on the end of the tach cable, which screws onto the drive mechanism, comes a bit loose over time).

The speedometer cable does not attach to the engine, at all.

Oil leaks at the bottom of an engine can be difficult to diagnose, as an oil leaking from "higher up" will naturally flow to the lowest point on the engine, so that it APPEARS that the oil leak is at that lowest point.

First step would be to clean off the engine (engine degreaser, etc.) thoroughly. Next, observe leaks again. Blowing a handful of talcum powder ("baby powder") over the area in questions might reveal an oil flow path, as the talcum powder will stick to the oil "river" but not to cleaned metal.......

A loose or leaking oil pan drain plug, or even the oil filter cover gasket, can leak oil "back" onto the oil pan, where is accumulates around the oil sensor and then starts "leaking" from there......

5. Lou627

Lou627 Member

+1 on the Tach Cable, it is notorious for leaking and may require a new Oring (which Chacal sells, contact him!)

As far as the lower oil leak, may be where the oil drain plug is but also may be leaking from where the shift level comes though, another common problem. Like chacal said, clean the area and check after every ride with powder.

6. antiorder

antiorder Member

Tach cable indeed. (Duh, because I just reattached my speedometer cable when getting new tires...) I'll clean it off and then take her for a spin, she'll drip when I get back for sure. It happens most just after the oil has been heated up.

7. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

8. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

When I have oil leaks the best place to go is the local self service car wash. I like to bring some Gunk engine cleaner and spray down the bottom of the engine and let it sit for a bit. Once you wash it off it sure doesn't seem to take long to spot any oil leaks. I like the powder trick but I just let the bike idle for a few minutes and just look to see where its coming from.
    Oil filter bolt, filter housing, drain plug, oil level sensor, Shift shaft seal, many places to look.
    The tach drive is super easy to fix with just a little o-ring that seals it.

Good Luck and let us know what you find.

MN

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

WHOA there.

No coin-op carwashes. High pressure water=BAD.

Your oil seals were meant to keep oil and other fluids IN, not keep water out. You can easily drive water into the motor using a high-pressure washer. Lots of LOW PRESSURE water from your garden hose is the best.

+1 on the engine cleaner; but use a citris-based product that says it's for use on COLD engines.

iwingameover already posted a link to your instructions for the tach drive oil seal repair; order a couple of oil drain plug crush rings from chacal when you order the parts.

A note to anyone else reading this who just put an XJ back on the road:

The tach drive oil seal failure appears to be related to the bike sitting, then being put back in use. The seals regularly get BAKED, then when the bike sits for multiple years, they dry out. As soon as they get subjected to heat again, they quickly fail. Mileage doesn't seem to be a factor. I've had them fail on both low and high-mile bikes, soon after being put back on the road.

10. antiorder

antiorder Member

Here's the picture Chacal asked me to get. Nothing of the underneath of the bike will help at all I don't think. I tightened this bolt, still oily as hell. I'm beginning to think it might be the only problem, and all the oil is collecting under the bike and dripping from time to time.

[​IMG]

11. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Could well be right. Liquids have a way of moving around to create confusion and despair.

12. iwingameover

Is that electric tape on your cable?

Add a new cable to your chacal order. They'll leak oil from the end of the metal tube even if they're not leaking around that nut on the engine.

Of course a properly operating seal on the drive will still solve your problem.

13. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

That's a tach cable. The speedo cable just goes from speedo to pickup down at the wheel. I wonder about a valve cover gasket leak that is travelling to that point and then pools and drips, too.

Dave

14. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

You will probably need to replace the o-rings in your tach gear housing. It seems to be a very common problem for these things to leak. I had to do mine.

15. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

I'll put a $ to win that it's th tach cable and it's seal to valve cover, that retainer is shiny compared to it's surrounds and th oiled exhaust nut below it....oil stops rust.

16. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It's the tach drive oil seal(s.) Common failure; parts cheap; instructions already posted.

Have at it.

17. antiorder

antiorder Member

Is replacing the tach cable relatively easy for a total noob? It's definitely this area that is leaking primarily, I tightened the bolt 2 days ago and cleaned the area off just to see how fast it would re-pool. It was covered in oil again the next day.

18. iwingameover

Yes! It unscrews with that big nut there on the end of it and the other under the tach. May take a pair of pliers to get it loose.

Install is reverse. With a new tach cable in hand it's quite clear.

19. antiorder

antiorder Member

Fantastic. Thanks everyone. I'll be orderin' from Chacal! :)

20. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Just to be sure......and perhaps save you a few dollars and a bit of efforts.....also make sure you try to tighten that knurled "nut" on the end of the cable, which attaches the cable to the drive gear adapter. The little "bolt", that holds that half-circle clamp, will very rarely solve an oil-leak problem from that area, whereas tightening the nut on the end of the cable may do the trick.

Of course, the electrical tape on the cable sheath may be indicative of a bigger problem, and the tach cable may need replacing anyway, but just so you'll know.........