1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1985 XJ700 Mods, forward controls,lower entire bike, Harley

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Diddly, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Diddly

Diddly New Member

XJ700 currently in my garage, Clutch is either slipping at times or rear wheel is loosing traction. Mufflers I have a set from my former Harley Dyna, TC Brothers forward controls are looking like a good way to go? Would like to lower the XJ700 not a clue where to start. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Diddly :D

2. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

Re: 1985 XJ700 Mods, forward controls,lower entire bike, Har

I have the TC Bros fwd set on my Seca. They are nice simple design that works well. The finish is a flat black primer and needs to painted or coated properly.

As far as lowering, I plan on installng a set of 10.5" shocks in the rear and just dropping the triple trees down below the air valve ring. I do not know if the 700's front end is exactly like the 750 Seca but you should be able to slide the tubes up in the clamps to lower the front end regardless. If you lower the front and he rear by the same amount you will not drastically effect the steering geometry and should not have any handling problems.

$.02

3. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Shorter shocks is a good way to drop the rear a few inches. For the front, you can do like '40 says and slide the forks up in the clamps or I went with a different front wheel with a smaller diameter and threw on a fat 130 tire.

Here's what it looks like:

[​IMG]

4. Diddly

Diddly New Member

Thanks for the quick feedback guy's. Appriciate it, really helps..
    Diddly

Has anyone installed Harley Mufflers? I'm thinking if they are moved down I'll beable to use saddle bags on trips without cooking them.

5. Diddly

Diddly New Member

Looks GREAT with the fat tires, how does it handle on the highway?

Diddly