1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New bike Time?

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by TinyBear, Aug 18, 2010.

1. TinyBear

TinyBear New Member

Well i have little choice but to sell my V-Star 1100 and get a smaller bike.

My insurance has doubled for no reason (no speeding tickets no accidents) and i feel i have called EVERY damn insurance company known to man and cant find anything im willing to pay. Basically it comes down to if i keep my V_star i will not afford to insure my Seca when i finish it.

So i am considering trading the Star in on a NEW small UJMish bike as the insurance would be half what it is now and would allow insuring of both my project SECA and the daily ridder.

Two bikes i am considering is a Yamaha FZ6 and Hondas CBF600SA.

I have ridden the FZ6 a while ago and i loved the bike. It lacked some bottom end but had a very impressive top end. But the bike was very entertaining and looked great, and has a HUGE aftermarket.

Yesterday i took out the New to canada Honda CBF 600. I fund this bike more comfy and with a stronger bottom end torque but did not have as big a rush in the upper RPMs as the FZ did. Can be had with lots of touring amenities and has ABS brakes (not a selling point to me). But being a CANADA only model there aint much of a after market yet although to be honest the bike felt very good as is.

Either of the bikes would be used as a daily rider/ Light tourer as my SECA is being built as my toy. The seca is the bike i will e playing with on the weekends and taking down to the drag strip the odd time. The new bike i buy will be left mostly stock as i really dont want to do all the wrk i have to my V-Star over again.

So what would you guys do Keep the VStar (i LOVE this bke i have it heavily modded to be perfect for me) or trade to a smaller bike and be able to have TWO bikes on the road.

2. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Ride with no insurance. I'm kidding.

That's a tough choice. Insurance is a ripoff for most people. If you never have a claim then you've paid all your money for nothing.

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

Insurance is a bet. The insurance company is betting you won't have an accident, you are. You do notice you lose most of the time. I wouldn't have it any other way of course. Your premiums help pay off all the other folks who bet and won. In this instance only I'm suggesting that you not be a winner (as opposed to a whiner).
    Hmmm.... This may be a case of "one in the hand is worth two in the bush". You have two bikes now but can't afford both. Sounds like you need to sell and get what you can afford. Then you can enjoy getting to know your new machine all over. The Yamaha sounds like the best option given its aftermarket support.
    I'm glad you have sufficient income to be able to make these kinds of choices, we have had a fair number of members have to sacrifice their only ride to make ends meet. May you continue to be so blessed.

4. clipperskipper

clipperskipper Member

Dunno Progressive quotes $95/year for a comprehensive policy including collision with a $500 deductible on the Vstar, and I live in Mass. Conversely my XJ is five bucks less with no hull value.

5. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

One word: CANADA!

Insurance up there is absurd! And some provinces are even worse!

Washington state has NO insurance requirements for any motorcycle insurance. Ride across the bridge to Oregon and you must have it. One would be foolish to not have at least liability on their ride.

Loren

6. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

On a side note, NJ just sent me a letter stating that inspections are being eliminated and to remove our inspection sticker from the license plate.

7. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Christie decide it costs too much?

8. TinyBear

TinyBear New Member

True enuff. And i am thankfull to be in the position i am. The company i work for (im a diesel truck mechanic) is cutting corners and cracking down HARD on employees and it kinda makes ya angery, so many of the guys quite and three got fired for harassment issues. For a few weeks i was the ONLY mechanic left. I was working 18hr days 5 days a week and then another 8hs on saturdays. Doing that is what afforded me to buy my self the SECA. I also am lucky as with hard work i was able to progress in my career quite quickly and am now in a very good position for my age.

And im not mad or pissed off that i cant afford to own two bikes (did not mean to come off as a whining prick but i guess i am in a way Sorry). I am more angered or fustraded really that i spent so much time and resorces on getting a bike setup exactly the way i wanted only to have my insurance company out of the blue say i am too big a risk on my bike and that they no longer want to cover me. But i looking at it now as i am happy i had the chance to own the big bore bike i had wanted but now its time for a change maybe earlier than i wanted but like ya say i should count my blessings.

The Seca is also something i have always wanted a nice older bike to restore and truly make my own. And if getting a smaller bike helps me achive that a bit easier than i will be happy on a smaller bike.

9. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

There MUST be some reason for the Insurance Company raising your Premium.
    I think that they are required to tell you.

Make sure that you are the right Policy Holder that the increase in Rate was intended for.

You'd be surprised at how many other People's names might pop-up if some little typo was made looking through records.

Sometimes an out-of-the-blue change in your "Finances" is a tip that somebody might be using your identity in one way or another.

10. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Rates up here jumped this year..... for PLPD I was paying $202 on the baby Max last year, this year... they want $241 .... checked with Allstate, $368 for the same coverage....
    Now $202 to $241 is only $39 but that's almost a 20% increase...
    On a full coverage policy thet would really hurt

11. gratscot

gratscot Member

Wow I must be lucky as far as insurance. I'm 18, not accidents or claims or anything but still I'm 18 and I'm paying $27.88 a month for my 650. Course its alot smaller bike and I just got the bare bones policy.

12. zap2504

zap2504 Member

How about one of the Kawi 650 twins - either the Versys or Ninja? Or a naked Suzi SV650? All 3 have loads of low-end torque, good dependability and ergos.

13. TinyBear

TinyBear New Member

Hey all thanx guys decided to pulled the trigger the New CBF600SA.

IT is just a more comfy bike and i got it optioned the way i want for touring duty (the Secas gona be the weekend toy when shes done).

I used to have a Suzuki V-Strom 650cc (same engine as the SV650). And its a fun bike BUT the CBF600 seemed to be much more lively and i have had a MANY twins so time for a change. The KAWASAKI Versys was my second choice but my legs are on the shorter side (not a problem my V-Strom was very tall as well) and i did not want chain drive without the option of a centerstand. And The FZ6 was ruled out as the honda dealer had a couple used models i was sitting on and the CBF was more comfy to me.

Pickup the new beast wednesday or thursday and although i will miss the grunt of my modded V-Star i am very excited to get the new bike.