1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 seca 750 front brakes

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by twitch673, Aug 18, 2010.

1. twitch673

twitch673 New Member

I took my forks off to replace the fork seals. I had to disconnect the brake lines from the anti-dive valve to remove the forks. When i got the forks back on and everything else back together i went to bleed the brakes, and 4 hours later i still have no brakes. I cannot get any pressure built up in the brakes. I know the lines from the master cylinder to the calipers have fluid, the reservoir is full. I have a feeling there is a massave air bubble stuck in the master cylinder. Does anyone have any idea how to get that out? PLEASE HELP

2. Dkeith

Dkeith New Member

I have a 83 XJ750 Seca I had a lot of trouble bleeding them as well. What i ended up doing is breaking the system into sections. first i disconnected it in the middle where the two caliper lines connect. Plugged the closer of the two sides and used my finger to cover the other while building pressure. once bled i then connected the line that goes to the first caliper leaving the plug in the one side bleeding just the line once bled i connected it to the caliper and finished that side. the repeatd the process on the other side. still took some time but worked for me.

3. JayEye

JayEye Member

If you have a vacuum power bleeder it will speed up the process tremendously. A cheep 1 from harbor freight or an auto parts store will work fine. If you have a Mighty vac hand vacuum pump it will work also but will take you forever.

This is the method I have used and have been successful with.

1. Make sure the reservoir is full and keep it full.
    2. If you have a helper pump up the brake and hold it, if no helper use a strap or cable lock to keep the brake depressed.
    3. With the power bleeder move to each of the bleeder valves making sure reservoir stays full.
    4.Pump up the brakes and repeat if necessary.

4. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

yep I concur. Suck them nipples. (uh, that is to say use the vacuum tool on the bleeder fittings)

5. twitch673

twitch673 New Member

Thanks for the help. I am going to try a small vac. pump i got from a guy at work.