1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

continental conti go / shinko / tire size q's??

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by venlis, Aug 19, 2010.

1. venlis

venlis Member

first q has anyone tried the contis? im about to get a new set of tires and i dont know which ones to get.
    i have a 750 seca.

ive been looking at various brands, and im getting a bargain on the conti gos. they come in the correct stock size.

that takes me to the second question:

any experience on running a wider set on both ends or only the other?

tire guy at the shop doesnt recommend it, it'll mess up the profile and the bike will handle a bit different. well i could take that but another guy said the tire will wear faster. that i cannot take, mileage is important.

my nearby shop will sell me a pair of shinkos very cheap, rear size would be stock but front would be 100 wide. do you guys see a problem with this...?

shinko is a rather new brand around here, i hear its ex-yokohama and you american guys should have a lot of experience on that am i right?

a wider size would look better naturally, and i could just slip a 130 size on the back..

whats the recommendation?

2. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

I ran Conti's on my Seca for a while. Found them a bit too stiff. My rear tire liked to spin out in sharp turns. I now have Shinko TourMasters and they seem to be a much better tire for the price.

I would recommend against running wider than stock tires on either front or back on the Seca. A 130 on the back will come dangerously close to rubbing against the driveshaft housing (and some 130 tires WILL rub). Also, it's probably not very safe, since the Seca rim is pretty narrow...

One option is to switch to a wider 16 inch rear wheel.. Then you can run a 130 tire, but you will lose a little bit of overall circumference, and lose some top end as a result.

Just my $0.02...

3. schooter

schooter Active Member

just sayin, if the 130 tire doesnt touch when parked, there's NO way it will touch when driving due to centrifugal forces (may have spelled it wrong)

4. dinoracer

dinoracer Member

I like the conti touring tire but after putting the conti go's on my turbo, they lasted barely 3000 miles before they went bald. The cord was right below that. on other brands usually there is a little bit of bald rubber before you hit cords. I left home one day,tire wasnt bald but close to it. I went for an eighty mile ride and saw that my rear had a white patch on it. That patch was the cords. When I left my house the tire looked like it had several hundred miles left. Replaced it with an older Conti Tour that I ahd as an emergency spare. If you are looking at a touring tire from Continental try the conti-tour or the conti milestone. Both will last at least 10,000 miles if not more. This was on a seca turbo that weighs 550 lbs and has fun twisty grip. The bad news is that both the Conti Tour and the Milestone can be hard to find over in the states.

Sean

5. cheezy66

cheezy66 New Member

i just installed a set of shinko 712's. i have around 1500mi on them. i'm very satisfied. i thought they felt a little "off" for the first 200mi or so, but now they seem to stick like glue. i feel very secure with them now. i would recommend them. i got them from the motorcycle superstore for $100 delivered.

6. venlis

venlis Member

k thanks guys.

i think ill choose the shinko 712's. 120/90 on the rear and 100/90 front.

people here are afraid to buy them because theyre asian and cheaper than other, more known brands.

theyre 134 euros at my nearby shop. they dont do mountings (what?) but the next shop will do it for 30 €

7. Sodie82

Sodie82 New Member

I got a shinko on the rear and a dunlop qualifier on the front