1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Newb about to get an xj 750

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by gudenkau, Aug 19, 2010.

1. gudenkau

gudenkau New Member

So guys, I'm about to pick up an xj from a guy for $200 in a couple days and I had some questions I was hoping you all could help me sort through.
    Took me a while to figure out if I was willing to go with a shaft driven inline four considering I wanted a chain drive v-twin. Lol, but the price is right, and he had already started to hard tail the bike. I am looking to hard tail the bike completely, from the tank frame to the rear swing arm, but in the process I wanted to lower the bike slightly, how far will the cv shaft give? or will I have to raise the engine in the frame in order to achieve this? it looks like a pretty beefy cv shaft, about the size in a VW bug. but I wanted some opinions. Also the handle bars have been swapped to ape hanger clip ons? hideous things really, I was wondering if any one knew a good site to get the mounts, risers, and a decent set of mild apes. I don't want huge things, but I also don't want them flat.

on that note, what do you guys think is more practical? short drag bars, or ape hangers, when you're riding a hard tailed bike with a suicide clutch/shifter, which is what I will be turning this bike into.

Lastly, and most importantly, does anyone have a wiring diagram for this bike, or better yet, an entire wiring harness? the guy im buying it from bought it as a project, started hard tailing it , and then figured out his friend messed the wiring up. Fought with it for about a year, and never got anywhere with the wiring. I don't need the full harness. I just want enough for the engine, head light, tail/brake light, and maybe some turn signals. Everything else I will either wire in myself, or live without.

heres a link to the add for the bike. Its rough. but he settled on 2, so I'm happy i have a project to tear apart.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/1881605360.html

2. Dkeith

Dkeith New Member

A hard tail xj is a fun project i am currently finishing mine up. to lower is is possible and really makes for a mean agressive ride. the main thing you have to watch is for your clearance for road hazards (pot holes, speed bumps, etc). as for the shaft there is enough give to drop it. just lay the motor and everything in set the height that you want it and make sure everything spins freely.

The diagram you can search for on google. it will take sometime to find and isn't a very good diagram but ultimately will work to building your harness. My harness is about 90% done except for the rear brake light switch. once i have it complete it i will post the diagram on here for everyones use. but it is the most basic set up that you will find no turn signals all safty devices removed just power and ground and ignition circuit.

Good luck safe building and keep us posted

3. gudenkau

gudenkau New Member

ok, so im bringing this post back, and I guess I'll make it my build post too.
    Got the bike home yesterday, and let me tell you unloading a motorcycle from a truck by yourself, without a ramp, is hard! but for all of you who need a way to do it, I used tie down straps, and hooked the bike to the roof of my carport, moved the truck, and dropped the thing down from there.

But to the build, I am waiting for my tools to arrive, they are at a friends house, so i can't just tear into the frame, so I figured I would work on getting the thing up and running. So the wiring was a mess, basically all removed and unplugged and a little bit of ball on the back wheel. Pulled the whole harness, and then started putting it back on according to the simple wiring diagram that has been posted on here before (thank you to all of you who have used it and put up pictures it really helped) I was up till 4 in the morning yesterday tearing at the thing in my kitchen. Finally got it sorted, and removed 2/3 of the harness for all the extraneous BS that I am not putting back on the bike (kick stand relays, turn signals, etc.) so today I hope to get everything grounded and hooked up right and hopefully hear the thing turn over.
    Onto my next question, or area of advice. The tank has a locking gas cap, but the guy had no key for the bike at all (ignition is non existent in it) anyone know of a trick to get these off without damaging the tank too much? thought about drilling it, I just don't know how well that would work with the mechanism inside the tank.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

You have to pick-it, which either you know how to do or.........you take the tank to a local locksmith shop, and they'll pick it for you in a minute or so and charge you a couple of bucks or so.....