1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj650 does not start *RESOLVED*

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by FinDuMonde, Aug 19, 2010.

1. FinDuMonde

FinDuMonde Member

edit-- electrical stuff is more or less sorted... now it's a fuel thing. I described the problem below.

Long story short-- my bike has been sitting out for about 4 months, and I'm finally able to put time into repairs. I spent a couple days sorting out some brake problems and getting all the lights working. I figured it was time to go get her inspected and found that nothing happened when I pushed the starter button. No solenoid click, so I'm assuming the problem is between the started button and the solenoid.

Here's what I did so far:

- Start button connections were corroded so I went over those thoroughly with steel wool and contact cleaner. Don't know much about using a multimeter but I'm pretty sure the start button and kill switch checked out fine. Nothing happened when I tried to short the start button contacts with a screwdriver.
    - Checked the fuses and cleaned contacts.
    - Solenoid contacts (black and red wires) looked good but I cleaned them anyways.
    - My year doesn't have the kickstand relay, but it does have the interlock relay located under the left side cover. I cleaned the contacts, then tried the Haynes manual recommendations for bypassing the relay (ground the black wire and short the red/white wires).
    - The battery is about 6 months old, fully charged (horn and turn signals work).

Any recommendations for the next step?

Thanks in advance!

2. serenmaster

serenmaster Member

Re: xj650 does not start

did you try and cross connect the starter switch next to the battery ? basicly hot wirring the bike ?

3. FinDuMonde

FinDuMonde Member

No. Can you describe which leads I should connect? I'll try it first thing in the morning.

I'm assuming that if I can hotwire the bike, it means I have a bad solenoid?
    Thanks!

4. wizard

wizard Active Member

Hi, endoftheworld, cross the 2 large terminals on the starter relay, if that spins the motor it MIGHT mean the relay is bad, but it could be other things.

5. FinDuMonde

FinDuMonde Member

OK, just to double check, those would be the two bolt-on contacts on the solenoid, right? (one red wire, one black, to the battery + and the starter, respectively)

I'm assuming I'll need to use heavier gauge wire? I'll pick some up on the way home tonight. Thanks again for answering the questions-- my experience with this is basically zero.

6. serenmaster

serenmaster Member

sorry was looking for the right term for the starter unit and the 650 diagram in forums calls it a starter switch and when i had to do mine i just used a crappy screw driver ~ i know not the right way to do it but in a pinch~

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

FinDuMonde:

GET the Wiring on that Solenoid straight before hooking anything up.

One wire (Usually RED) goes from the Battery to the Solenoid.
    BATTERY (+) ---> +12V Hot + Fused -- From (+) - to- Solenoid POST.
    Solenoid Post = LOAD --> IN

2nd wire (NOT RED) goes from SOLENOID Vacant Post --> +12V LOAD OUT from Solenoid ---> -To- STARTER MOTOR's POWER *IN* POST.

Heavy Gauge - High Amps - Starter Motor Leads.

If you are going to Custom make these two Leads ... Get the Heavy Guage Wire and "Cupped-end" Solder-On Wire Terminals.

You should Measure the Wire Run and keep the lengths close to not having much Slack.
    Have the Terminal Ends Soldered on for you if you cannot do it yourself.

8. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

take a test light and test for power at the two thin wires on the solenoid. don't know which color would be the power one. push the button and one of those wires HAS to light up the test light. otherwise youi've got no power being sent to kick in the solenoid.

a screwdriver works just fine for touching the two big nuts on the solenoid to see if the starter motor cranks. that's how the OLD TIMERS did it on the ford vehicles back in the day. when solenoids were to be mounted to the fender.

9. FinDuMonde

FinDuMonde Member

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I think the overnight soak in contact cleaner did the job-- now the starter is working. Unfortunately, the engine doesn't turn over. A few days ago I drained the carb bowls (except for one which had a stuck drain screw). I got maybe 2 cups of gas. Today, when I opened the drain screws, I got just a couple drops. So it looks like gas isn't getting to the carbs... I think the petcock and fuel line are OK, but will check again tomorrow. Really not sure what the next step would be at this point.

10. wizard

wizard Active Member

Set up a temporary tank so you have a clear flow of fuel to the carbs.

11. FinDuMonde

FinDuMonde Member

I didn't set up a temp tank but I did install an extra-long clear fuel line that I just got from Chacal. I have the fuel line taped up to the tank so i can watch the level.

Fuel is getting into the carb bowls but very slowly. Like the level drops about half an inch per hour. Just a few drops of gas are getting to each of the bowls (I'm checking by loosening the drain screw). I'm assuming they should basically fill right up when the petcock is set to prime and/or there is fuel in the line?

Is it possible that all the floats are stuck? Is there anything I can try before pulling the carbs?

(The engine pops and turns over when I spray carb cleaner in the airbox, but that doesn't do much good if there's no gas in the bowls.)

*Resolved* got the bike started today! I sprayed carb cleaner everywhere yesterday and hooked up the vacuum line. Don't know why that should affect prime, but it got the fuel flowing. Bowls were full this afternoon and she started up just fine. Thanks to everyone for the help!