1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Plexi2 and Plexi3 fairings

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by heartsport, Aug 20, 2010.

1. heartsport

heartsport New Member

Has anybody tried these fairings? I have an 85 xj700 and I really want to get something on it to break some wind...any suggestions? I think they are made by National Cycle.
    Thanks.

2. thorin

thorin Member

i just bought a plexistar 2 from national cycle a couple weeks ago from a craigslist ad for $50. haven't mounted it yet so can't comment on performance. it was made for my bike ('82 750j) with the square handlebars.
    i'd be glad to mount it today and let you know my opinion.

3. thorin

thorin Member

okay, mounted the windshield this morning and went for a ride in the neighborhood and also on the highway.
    the unit mounted pretty easily and this particular one is made for the square handlebars i have. fairly solid with minimal give.
    i'm 6' even and noted the top of the windshield is right in my line of sight which means a bit of distortion thru the windshield (due to the curvature) and clarity above. it's nothing i couldn't get used to but it is there.
    on the highway, i felt like the bike was working a bit harder to push thru the wind as opposed to when the windshield is not mounted. the difference in buffeting on your body is huge with a much calmer ride with the windshield.
    again, the unit was fairly stable with minimal movement at highway speed and seemed as though you'd have very little issue or concern.
    i definitely liked the wind and bug/debris protection it provided and would want it on my bike for a trip. it would also be beneficial for around town driving but not sure if i'll keep it on for that as i'm leaning toward a chopped/bobber look.
    the unit looks good with the bike in stock configuration and works with the lines of the bike.
    all in all, i give it a thumbs up for comfort and safety reasons.
    in the spirit of full disclosure, i must remind you i only paid $50 for the unit and i feel like i got a great value.
    hope this helps.

4. Babylon

Babylon Member

Would a short, i.e. only just rising over the clocks windshield/wind deflector do much on an XJ700 Maxim?
    Asking as I use mine every day on the motorway (UK version of a highway with 70mph speed limit). My old sports bike only had a short fairing screen and that did the business, but was more raked.
    Is so, can anyone recommend a decent one please?

Cheers ... Rick 8)

5. carbineken

carbineken Member

Mine had the Plexi3 on it when I bought the bike. I've never been much for windshields but I really liked the ride with it on. I can't say I've noticed any performance difference without it. I think my fuel mileage was a little better with the shield though. I rode with it well into the winter and was very pleased.

6. Mackey

Mackey New Member

I'm not sure which version mine is- it just says "National Cycle Plexifairing", but it came with my Maxim X. I took it off when trailering home, and never put it back on until today. The problem I have is that I get some reflections on the lower portion from the signals, headlight and gages, which combines with the strong curvature to make 8 feet in front of the bike very rough on the eyes at night. Not a fan.

On top of that, it's raked back so far it takes some getting used to having it there in front of you in corners.

I like what it does for wind management, but might want to swtich to more of a traditional tombstone style shape, or perhaps some sort of cafe style fairing if it helps with wind at all.

Anyone have any thoughts on anything like that?

7. vintagerice

vintagerice Member

I would say the best way to break some wind would be eat a bowl of beans. Much cheaper too.
    :lol:

Rob

8. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Thorin - sounds like you could trim 2" off for a better fit.
    I've trimmed a windshield. Apply masking tape, draw a nice curve with pencil and string, tie string to front fender. Use sabre saw and a fine blade. Finish with sand paper.

Mackey - to get rid of reflections, you make up a little visor or hood for your gauges. Try it with a 6X8 piece of cardboard painted black for now.
    Make something nice later.

9. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

If I can find the quote I read yesterday, I'll post it later.
    The reason you were struggling is because its a fork/handlebar mounted fairing as opposed to a framed mounted one. All of the wind resistance was pushing on your handle bars and trying to shove around a few dozen pounds. A frame mounted fairing is trying to push the entire bike around and thus alot less fatigue on your hands.

I'm sure any fairing type is better than none for blocking the wind though. :)
    I'm still working on rewiring and mounting mine, so I can be sure yet.

10. streetmaster

streetmaster Member

Only works if your full of it :oops: he,he,he