1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New Guy in CT

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Natester, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Natester

Natester New Member

Hello, just aquired an 82 550 Maxim. I've had xs650s before but am new to these bikes. Seems to run great but wanted to get aquainted with a site in case something goes awry later on.

planning on a mild cafe-style for this bike so the tank and seat will be the first to go. I just discovered the dual backbone frame this evening so that kinda puts the kabosh on some of my plans

2. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site and don't let a little thing like that backbone stop your plans. :wink:

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

Welcome and be sure to check your rear brake shoes for delamination.

4. Dkeith

Dkeith New Member

Hey Robert Welcome and I agree dont' let that back bone stop your plans. But that being said I don't recommend cutting them either. You lose alot of your frame strenght if you do and could ultimately twist the frame. Anyway good luck and enjoy the build.

5. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

welcome to the site. where in CT are you? i grew up in guilford, lived in middletown and now in wallingford. worked in branford and now in newington.

6. Natester

Natester New Member

nope, ain't gonna cut the frame, I'll end up building a tank around it......will do on the brake shoes now that you've made me paranoid!! And I'm in North Branford in a picturesque neighborhood off of 139.

Just out of curiousity....any ideas on tanks that have been used succesfully with minor fab? I'b probably going to find a tank I like and just cut the bottom out and make my own bottom

7. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

do you own the black maxim that is/was right after the corner near the post office? i drove by it every day for years, looked like it wasnt in bad shape. i havent seen it there recently but i work in newington now. i just left freightliner in branford where i was for 8 years and saw that bike almost every day.

as for the tanks i have seen several on this site, and a lot of peanut tanks from harleys. when doing an image search on yahoo or google.