1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My Petcock Solution ($27.08 All new parts)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tichuang, Nov 10, 2006.

1. tichuang

tichuang New Member

hey beardking, nope have not had any issues. i'm really happy with the result, except now i have bigger problems to worry about, I just split the case yesterday to fix my 2nd gear...

you install your parts yet? during my trying to fix the old petcock, and messing with the new one, i spilled huge amounts of gas around haha

2. daliumong

daliumong New Member

I have a 750 tank and a 550 tank, and know for a fact that the openings are the same

3. beardking

beardking Member

tichuang, yeah, I got mine replaced, synced up my carbs, and bought and used a colortune since that last post. Bike runs like a top now. Of course, it's been too freaking cold since I fixed it to go out riding, so now I just go out and start it up every once in a while.

4. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

tichuang
    Have you tried you petcock mod yet?

I'm wondering if you get enough fuel flow?
    I've a friend who said that valve wouldnt supply enough fuel for his Harley.

I'll buy it if it works good for you.

Thanks

5. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

This is perfect...I have a leaky pet myself, and was looking for a good way to fix it. I'll give this a try.

Thanks for posting this.

6. st301gpman

st301gpman New Member

Good Post. Wish i had read this before i hit the dealer Saturday.

I had purchased the rebuild kit for my 750 but it doesn't include the diaphram for the vaccum on the back side and it alone was $13.

I just dropped $75 on an O.E. to fix my problem.

7. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

Yeah I found this just in time myself...well at least while the bike is in winter storage...so I can wrench on it all I want.

Now I just need to find out how to change my email address on here....that is the hardest thing I have to do. :lol:

8. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

PG just contact the Snosheriff. He can direct you and it's not too dificult.

9. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

yeah, I PM'd him and he just changed it for me.

Thanks

10. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

Well I installed this on my XJ550 on Sunday and used a circular file to make the fuel pickup hole bigger and it fits like a charm. I am doing some other things before I start it up and tune it, so I won't know how it works, but I can say this... IT DOESN'T LEAK ANYMORE!!!!!

Just put new carb boots on the engine side as well and capped all 4 vacuum ports. Once the fuse block I ordered arrives, I should be good to start it and tune it for when all this cold and snow disappear.

11. rgouette

rgouette Member

I'm totally ordering this this system this week!!

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

What system ...

I think you forgot the LINK ... !!

13. dayooper951

dayooper951 Member

Any difference in these setups (tanks, fuel line, room, etc) it's already being used on and a 85 Maxim X?

14. dayooper951

dayooper951 Member

Answered my own question.

I measured the holes on my 85 Maxim X tank and ordered the 44 mm sized petcock adapter from Z1. It doesn't work for the X, I need something in the area of 45, maybe 46 mm from screw hole to hole in order to work.

I thought this would've been a great thing and planned on getting this thing running next weekend. That's probably shot now, as the former petcock was really crudded up on the inside from sitting for 19 years. Maybe I'll try cleaning it up, but it appears hopeless from what I saw when taking it apart. I'll try the dealership tomorrow to see how long a new one may take to get.

Any other ideas out there to make this work, or other sources for the adapter plate?

15. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

tichuang
    so does this petcock give you enough fuel flow for higher rpms?

16. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

I am using the exact same petcock, and I have no more fueling problems. It is a cheap and easy fix. Plenty of fuel available.

17. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Here's an update on the actual cost.

Merchandise Total: $32.87
    State/Province Tax: $0.00
    Shipping: $11.10
    *Order Total: $43.97*

I ordered mine today. I got the petcock at $14 and the adapter plate at $18.

18. mr_ex

mr_ex Member

well..after messing with yhe piece of crap repair kit :roll: with no success.....i tried rick"s trick.........THIS FREAKIN WORKS!!!!!!

way to go rickomatic...yu hydromatic elecreostacic geneous yooooo 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
    http://www.imagetex.com/albums/userpics ... ix_002.jpg

19. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Well I just finished installing mine. I don't have a dremel so I had to hand file it. Not too bad and not tooo long to do it! I will let it sit overnight and fill the tank in the morning. Looks better than what I had on there.

So far I really like it. Only time will tell if it is an improvement. It could pose leaking problems and I have to train myself to shut the fuel off. I will of course remember to turn it on once I start running out while riding, but I don't have that type of reminder to shut it off. That will be the real test of my mental ability. Still I like the idea of not having to worry about fuel in the oil. Replacing the petcock for only $14 is a plus too. Yamaha wants $95 for a new one. I paid $75 for the last one.

Thanks for the idea tichuang!

20. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

I have a 700N and bought the 44 mm adapter plate I tried the one that the original post showed it was a 34 mm and I figured that if a 650 and a 750 used a 34mm that my 700 should too.

NOT!

all I need now is time to do the fix.........
    Hope I can do it this year....... that's how it's been, that's why you all haven't hear from me for a while.

reading a previous post about needing a 45 or 46mm fo a 700X, I hope I didn't goof up again.