1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New Plugs, Can't get BP7ES??

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Danstona, Aug 27, 2010.

1. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

From what I've been told back in the mid-late 80's we had to put the resistors in to cut down on radio interference... they're still here but just a little tougher to find.

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

A fair number of Japanese imports used this plug, I highly doubt NGK would stop making them. I think your parts guy is blowing smoke 'cause he doesn't want to give the problem any effort. Tell him to get off his bum and earn that minimum wage.

3. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

Like I said before. The auto parts stores get their parts from a supplier. The supplier dropped the motorcycle parts line for the auto parts stores. The best bet to get the ngk plugs is from a repair shop or the dealer. Some parts stores may have some left in stock or have a diffrent supplier. I heard that directly from the guy who orders parts for the store.

4. theadbrewer

theadbrewer Member

I have some Autolight replacements, work fine. Someone makes an equivalent.

5. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

autolight and champion both have substitutes.

i've never had very good luck though with automotive substitutes.

plugs can be made. but they don't have the same standards. and they don't last as long. and sometimes they don't work very good at all.
    car plugs only fire once on the compression stroke. motorcycle plugs fire twice. compression and exhaust stroke.

motorcycle plugs take more wear and tear.

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

There is always online... The NGK site lets you look for local distributors.

7. Danstona

Danstona New Member

My understanding is that our bikes fire on both compression and exhaust strokes... but only to save from needing a better ignition system. I read it somewhere and found it quite interesting.

As for the plugs, I tried CT on Ottawa in Kitchener, they didn't have it. The NAPA store said they could give me autolites.. which I said uhm, NO.. I've never liked Champions... everything I ever read about my car, truck etc... always said to switch from Champion to NGK. I haven't had a problem with them. I will agree we might have a problem getting them in Canada, but not that they don't make them anymore. Simply put, they are available its just a matter of sourcing a distrubutor that can get them. I am getting them from Chacal now anyway.. I have no problem supporting a supportive member/vendor of the site and I don't need them before he ships me the YICS tool and my tank is clean anyway.

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

wow, the dewdew's gettin deep in here

9. wizard

wizard Active Member

Gum boot city.

10. theadbrewer

theadbrewer Member

If you put them in and it goes babang then they work. I have 2500 miles or so on mine (autolights) granted thats in 6 weeks. But they work babang.

11. jeffdodge

jeffdodge Member

I couldnt get BP7ES plugs when I got them in my XJ either. I just got whatever plug cross refrenced.

12. Danstona

Danstona New Member

Well I stopped at a dealer north of Guelph... and they didn't list anything in their book. When he checked with Yamaha they listed them on their parts website, but sold in quantities of 10. So they are still available, mind you he had to order them...

13. Galamb

Galamb Member

I went to c-tire in Georgetown and took the last 4 they had on the shelf.

14. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Stopped by a local Pep Boys... two, actually. They didn't even have them listed in the system. They suggested I go to Napa. Went to another place down the street instead (Kragen -- got bought out by O'Reilly) and they had a metric buttload of them.

Just for grins, I emailed the sales department at the NGK website explaining what was going on, and inquired whether that plug model was discontinued, and if so, what would be the suggested alternative?

The reply I got neatly sidestepped the question as to whether it was discontinued, but suggested that I use the stock number instead of the model number. The email suggested 3995 and gave a link; the link provided two stock numbers, the second being 1034, which the guy at the store said was their "new" stock number.

http://ngk.com/results_cross.asp?pid=bp7es

15. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

I wonder if they "discontinued" 3995 and now only stock 1034. The parts store I got mine at seemed lost as well when I asked for the plug by part number. Of course those guys are not known for their smarts.....

16. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Here's something to muddy the waters a bit. When I sent the mail, I used their contact link at ngksparkplugs.com. You'll note the link I provided comes from ngk.com... whose page banner states that they are *not* NGK Spark Plugs USA, and they specialize in "hard to find" NGK parts.

I don't know whether that's an admission that the plug is becoming harder to find, or whether he simply used the site to show the stock numbers.

17. iampnelson

iampnelson Member

Hi Dansona,

I have a brand new pair that I put in my XJ650 but then never got the bike running. If you wanna pay for shipping I'll give them to you for free. PM me if you're interested. I live in Bay Area, California.

Cheers!
    Paul

18. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

19. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

They are in stock and ready to ship.