1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Harley Davidson Exaust

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by 700max, May 16, 2006.

1. murphyreedus

murphyreedus New Member

randy:

how does the bike run with the HD mufflers on? i'm tempted to replace the mufflers on my 650, as they are starting to rust

2. jribbens78

jribbens78 New Member

As for the catalytic mufflers, only the California models were required to have them. VERY pricey also. The other 49 all have standard mufflers. The Touring pipes that you have were meant to mount to the accessory bar that the side bags are mounted to also, so there are some nice threaded bungs already on the muffler cases. They are rather large though. Not gonna work on the XJ family too well

3. spinalator

spinalator Member

I forgot about this thread. Good to see some people still read the far back pages! :)

Any updates with those folks doing the mods?

4. srinath

srinath Member

If they are still there or someone who has a spare set let me know how much.
    I might want to slap them into my savage. The maxim megaphones I sorta love.
    Cool.
    Srinath.

5. ridz

ridz Member

you can weld with stainless with your mig set up..need stainless wire though and if your not using argon gas you need to switch to that also.

6. beanflicker_98

beanflicker_98 Member

I still have the baloney ends.Anyone?

7. srinath

srinath Member

What is baloney end ??? not too familiar with harley speak. But stock harley sportster muffler is what I would be able to put on the savage without any mods. And it looks and works the best. Maybe I should run down to the harley shop and really know what I'm talking about here.
    Cool.
    Srinath.

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The baloney end is somewhat like a films "Hollywood Ending."

The Harley Guy's gather in a tight a tight group and keep their voices low; often putting their hands to their faces when speaking to prevent anyone reading their lips.

They all quietly complain about how long their bikes have been in the shop and curse the day they succumed to vanity and bought their bike rather than spending thousands less for a more reliable machine made outside the USA. They all swore an Oath to be forever loyal to the Milwaukee-made bike by always finishing their stories with lies about how much fun it is and how they could never ride a rice-burner.

They all know the words to use at the end of their pizzin'-'n-moanin' by heart.
    They memorize what to say ...

It's the "Baloney End" !

(No too shabby, for a quick off-the-cuff ... couldn't resist the opportunity to do a bit of gag-writing ... and, get a few smiles from the my XJ-Family)

9. beanflicker_98

beanflicker_98 Member

har har har

10. beanflicker_98

beanflicker_98 Member

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=2894.html

look at the photo in this link.Looks like harley pipes to me.the set i have are more tapered at the end.measures about 1 and 3/4 inch across.I think they call the ones i have baloney ends or cigar ends,it is the way they taper that gives tnem their name.

11. randy

randy New Member

My 81 Seca 750 had Harley mufflers on it when I bought it. They were not baffled and were very loud. I installed small inexpensive baffles into each outlet which helped. It's still loud but I like it. My bike also had pod air filters installed when I got it. No idea what jetting is in it but it runs very strong.

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You should take a peek at the spark plugs -- doing the cruise, kill and check method.

I remind you and everyone who has mods done to their bike.
    LEAN is bad.
    RICH is good.

You subject you engine to a host of potential problems running lean. Exhaust mods is right at the top of the list for making the bike run lean.