1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Transforming boring into FUN! sort of a madmax/cafe look

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by cruzmystar, Nov 19, 2006.

1. robista361

robista361 Member

when I bite into a " york peppermint patty", I get that same sensation rick!

2. robista361

robista361 Member

my X rarely sees anything lower than 6 g's when I'm riding. Although I do take it easy in school zones and at stop lights...

3. cruzmystar

cruzmystar Member

glad to hear i'm not the only one who rides like that! lol. that 750 engine has a very unique sound to it at about 7.5k. the whole tone changes and it's like it almost settles into it's happy place

4. beanflicker_98

beanflicker_98 Member

check this one out on ebay at 19.9http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-YAMAHA-XJ-550-XJ550-SECA-FAIRING-CAFE-HARLEY-EXC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35583QQihZ020QQitemZ300051217924QQrdZ19

5. beanflicker_98

beanflicker_98 Member

6. MAX-X

MAX-X Member

cruzmystar, I have a quick question, from looking at your pics, you said you lowered yours 3 inches, looks great, so I lowered my 85 X 2 inches, my question is are you still running the same brake lines & speedo cable? after lowering mine, I like the look but now the brake lines & speedo cable are at a more radical angle, just wondering, your bike does look good though, thanks in advance for any feedback!

7. cruzmystar

cruzmystar Member

thanks for the compliments. and yes, my cables look like crap! lol. i'm more concerned about the speedo cable than the brake lines. i do agree that it doesn't look the best however everything is working with no problems so far so for this bike it'll be just fine. only thing i had to do the other day was re-tighten the speedo cable at the speedo. came loose while i was riding. i don't know if it was loose before or the increased angle made it work loose. i'll keep an eye on it.

8. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Do the bars hit the tank? I was thinking of inverting mine but havent for feat they'll hit.

9. MAX-X

MAX-X Member

I have found a set of braided stainless brake lines (all 3) with the clear coat over them for $110.00, I could check & see if they have a set that is 1 to 2 inches shorter....the speedo cable will take a little bit of homework unless someone on here knows of a different model that has a shorter cable, we'll see......

10. cruzmystar

cruzmystar Member

yeah they do. i decided to run them for now so i can get a good feel for where they sat so when it comes time to purchase new ones i'll have a better guess on dimensions.

11. jribbens78

jribbens78 New Member

Great Looking bike. I have an 82 750 and am also getting pods and probably putting on some Cherry Bombs. What size jets did you use? That would give me a much easier baseline to work from. Also, I am new to the forum, so i don't know how these bikes are lowered. Could you give me a quick update on that also?
    Thanks for the help
    JR

12. cruzmystar

cruzmystar Member

i'll check tomorrow at work to get the exact numbers (i've got about 3 bikes apart at the moment and i can't keep my numbers straight, lol) but i know it was two sizes up on the mains and added one shim (m4 washer) to the needles. it would probably benefit from a slightly larger pilot jet, as i've got the mixture screws quite a ways out, but it's just my beat the tar out of it/ride it back and forth to work bike so i wasn't going to spend a ton of time tuning it. it takes a couple tries to get it started after it's been sitting for a week but past that it runs great.

i cheated the way i lowered the front. like i said, being that this is my beater bike i just loosened the tripple tree clamps and slid the fork tubes up a bit. i went about 3 inches but my hoses and cables look like poo now. i'll probably go up to 2 inches. i did notice the weight transfer of the bars and lowering the front made the back a little squirly. caught myself more than once drifting the rear out of a hard corner.

13. beardking

beardking Member

cruz, how did you lower your seat like that? It looks like you had to cut and relocate the tubing that goes under the seat to be able to drop it like that. Unless, of course, the tubing layout is different on you 85 700 than my 82 650, which is quite possible.

14. cruzmystar

cruzmystar Member

no structural changes at all. the seat on this bike was always horrible. seemed like you were always sitting on your hardware rather than on your butt like you should be. so, i just went ahead and trimmed the seat cushion down until there was only about an inch left in the back/bottom. made an absolute night and day difference in the way it felt. like you said there might be some structural differences between out bikes. my frame follows the shape of the seat.

15. spinalator

spinalator Member

Did you trim with a turkey knife or sandpaper wheel?

16. cruzmystar

cruzmystar Member

here's a good article that explains how. couple of things i do differently are get the foam wet and put it in the freezer until it's frozen. it makes the cutting and sanding process much easier. i aslso don't use the carpet padding on the top of the foam. if you get the foam sanded out smooth then you don't need the padding. all it's really for is to hide the sawblade marks. if you don't have an electric carving knife then a hacksaw blade will work. just a little slower process.

http://www.650ccnd.com/seat.htm

17. spinalator

spinalator Member

You freeze the wet seat? Very smart, thanks for the link!

18. cruzmystar

cruzmystar Member

no prob