1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj chop build.

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by gudenkau, Sep 2, 2010.

1. gudenkau

gudenkau New Member

So I started a thread a while ago about buying an 82 xj 750, and the whole wiring problems and what not. But now I'd figured I'd update the build and my questions, because I've asked them in a few different threads, and I can't seem to remember which ones I have asked in to go back and check.
    So the bike is disassembled and in the kitchen of my house. Picked up my tools and went to town. I re-ran all the wiring, according to the minimum wiring diagram so many people have graciously put up. got the engine to turn over (im sure it needs a lot of work before it will run but i now know its not seized which is half the battle). now that the engine is good I went forward and started cutting the rear frame. I was going back and forth and whether or not to keep the stock tank, and I have now decided that with the build in progress I am keeping it for its capacity and the way it makes the bike look now. So i cut the frame just after the rear tank mount, and about 5 1/2 inches up from the swing arm pivot. right now I am trying to figure out a good ride height on a hard tail.

So lets hear what people have out there! Who's got the lowest bike? and do you wish it was higher?

I am thinking about going with a 3" ride height from the exhaust down (on stockish exhaust), and later modifying the exhaust out the side of the bike, so I might gain the extra two inches.

Other questions, I think I saw an answer for this one too, but I cannot recall. Does anyone know of a place that sells riser to bolt onto the stock triple tree cap? I have those goofy looking handle bars, and want to go with some ten inch ape style bars.
    And I removed the engine guard rails (someone called them highway pegs and I laughed) because I want to bolt forward controls onto the mounts for the guard. Anyone know of a place that sells bolt up forward control (preferably with a suicide clutch setup because thats what I'm doing anyway)? (also if anyone wants these engine guards let me know, pay shipping and you can have them.)

I think thats all for the moment. As soon as i find my camera I'll snap some photos and post them up.

2. gudenkau

gudenkau New Member

actually heres a photo of the bike when I bought it. The seat didn't come with it, and under the seat was the ball of wiring the guy had messed with.
    [​IMG]

3. skillet

skillet Active Member

IMHO you REALLY need at least 4" of clearance :wink: ...

skillet

4. schooter

schooter Active Member

great place for inspiration is thechopperunderground.com

they are top notch and will give you inspiration

and in all honesty, the xj is not a good platform to chop, i have come to realize that the shaft drive really limits you,but you can do some neat stuff on a budget with these bikes

5. gudenkau

gudenkau New Member

it will have 5" once the pipes are moved. cause I'm not leaving the pipes underneath it. and ya these bikes are limited on the rear end, but you are right, on a budget these things are quite amazing. but next time around, when I'm done with this guy, I'm going with a v twin, chain drive so i can play with a swing arm.

6. tsmith

tsmith Member

Nice man. I thought about the chopper but after seeing some around town just not for me. what all you wanting to do to it?

7. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

you dont have to have a vtwin to get chain drive. the XJ 550's are chain. the XS 650's and 400 are chain

8. gudenkau

gudenkau New Member

lol, i said the next one will be a v-twin, I like their look better than the in line four. And as far as what I'm going to do. I have already chopped the frame, gonna get my welder from my brother and weld the new bends in hopefully within a couple weeks. I'm swapping the stock clip-ons for suzuki one bot risers and some 10 inch apes I think (unless I find some bars in the junk yard I like). Retro fitting forward controls, with a suicide clutch and I'm going to go with a short jockey shifter (hoping it doesnt heat up too much on next to the engine, otherwise the design will change to a tank shifter. Outside of this I'm just looking for simplicity. I ride a zx-6r crotch rocket now, and I love the thing. I just want to simplify once in a while. The technology is amazing, but can get to be overwhelming now and then. On top of the hard tail I want a springer seat (obviously) and right now my girl is telling me I have to figure out the passenger situation (we"ll see about that).

9. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

lol, about a passenger, Screw that. MY Fiance told me the same crap, I looked at her lovingly and replied "there is a place for you, just stretch your vagina to slip over the sissy bar and you can ride". As for the jockey shifter, I have one on mine and run with no problems.

10. gudenkau

gudenkau New Member

Oh sweet, does it sit down by the engine? thats my only fear, is it getting too hot to grab. I ride with gloves so I'm not too worried. And I told her last night as a friend of mine and I welded down the hard tail (which is almost done I'll post pics when it is done) that I have a 2006 sport bike she can ride on the back of, this one is for me.