1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How many miles out of a tank?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by pooreman, Sep 13, 2010.

1. pooreman

pooreman New Member

I am a few tenths away from hitting 200 miles without flipping over to my reserve. I was wondering what you all are getting?

2. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

200 Miles??? I get around 135 Km before hitting reserve (need a proper sync though), What are you riding btw? Don't forget to update your signature and welcome to the site!

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Welcome to the site !!
    Depends on the model - - my 900 gets 215 miles before I start to worry.
    The LCD fuel graph on my 750 made me walk once.
    It gets 46 MPG.

4. tinytim

tinytim Member

Most times I have to go to reserve when it's showing around 170 mi.I say "when it's showing" because,according to those automated police radar gizmos,my speedo shows 9% faster than I'm really going.This makes sense since my front tire is shorter than stock (90/90/19 now,stock is 100/90/19) So when it says 170,apparently it's really 155 (9% less)

I usually get about 48 mpg's,but on 1 tank recently it was in the 60's!!!I checked my math several times thinking I must've figured it wrong,but it checked out every time.

The strangest part was that it was the same trip--same route,same speeds,same traffic,same stuff packed on the bike,everything identical,2 days in a row.Yet the first days tank got me my usual 48 mpg's,second day it was 64 8O :? :D

5. Alive

Alive Active Member

I've had some weird readings... When my engine was in its old frame I would only get around 250km before I had to switch to reserve, this was on a speedo that read 100kmph when I was really only doing 80.

Now in the black bike I'm getting almost 350kms before going to reserve and the only thing different about it is the mufflers... Took off my straight through perforated pipes and stock collector box & went to an after market tube based collector with a balance pipe and factory Honda Hornet mufflers... And yes it's now far too quiet but i'm liking the extra milage :)

When I swapped motors I also swapped carbs and CDI

6. pooreman

pooreman New Member

Yeah, sorry about not mentioning the bike.

I am riding a 93 XJ600. This tank was from riding back roads and a little highway all 55-65mph so I thought that might have contributed to the high fuel mileage.

Just wanted to know what others were getting. I was used to my Virago where I was lucky to get 140 per.

7. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Without a proper carb and spacer job, I'm getting around 40 mpg on my 82 750 Maxim. (I fill up every 120 miles to be sure I don't hit the reserve - that's usually just under 3 gallons - So my math is just a rounded estimate).

Another user told me he was getting similar mpg.

My "rides" are mostly highway 55-65 posted limits and 40 mile one way trips. Oh and I also have a fat rear end with my large saddle bags and trunk. The fairing should be on this month I hope.

8. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

I just went for a ride, coast highway, lots of slow to fast to slow turns, got 43mpg, so that'd be 198 miles to the tank if I'm figuring that right.... but like I said, alot of slower speed, not alot of cruising

9. macros10

macros10 Member

Haven't clocked enough miles on my XJ 550 to say yet, but I will update as possible. Since we're talking about fuel, and although it's probably been asked already, do you guys run regular unleaded or premium? I'm running premium but didn't know if that was bad for the bike or not, read somewhere that it might be bad on an older bike, thoughts?

10. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

I've heard both ways, bad for older bikes, guud for older engines.....

My general theory is that for every day riding, unleaded is fine for my 93. If I'm going on a long run somewhere, like Vegas where it's just burning tank through after tank, I might stick some premium from Shell, ((I'm a firm believer shell is better gas based on MPG readings)) and really enjoy the extra bit of MPG I get. But for running around town, a quick cruise, unleaded is fine for me. Should it start raining for awhile, STABil all the way!

11. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I just fill up around 100 to 120 miles and don't worry too much about mileage with my bikes. It's worth it just to ride at any cost!!

12. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

I always fill up @ 100 miles

BUT I went for the gold the other day and hit 131 miles before the lack of motion lotion flowing through the normal petcock position made my bike go PBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPPBPBPBPBPBPBPB...PBPBPB....PBPBPB..............PB......PB..........................

I was expecting at least 200

13. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I have a poll going that gives you some idea of what others get in the way of gas mileage. It's in my signature.

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

the next station past 125 mi on a 750, i don't use reserve