1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New bike! Non XJ

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by carbineken, Sep 13, 2010.

  1. carbineken

    carbineken Member

    Messages:
    104
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Wagoner, OK
    Well guys....I guess I need to update my signature. Finally crossed the line and bought a '74 Sportster. Couldn't pass the deal up. Keeping my XJ though for all the times that I don't need to pull stumps outta the ground and wanna go fast.Lol!
     
  2. luvmy40

    luvmy40 Member

    Messages:
    399
    Likes Received:
    15
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Y-Town, OH
    The '70s sportsters were fun bikes. I had the '79 "Roadster", a bastard year production with different parts than any other year almost across the board.
    The sporties are light enough to to be able to eke a little performance out of them. New cams, a couple Mikunis and some patience. Stay on the top end maintenance and watch for case leaks!

    Does the '74 have electric start? If not you'll become very familiar with the term "Sportser Leg"!
     
  3. carbineken

    carbineken Member

    Messages:
    104
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Wagoner, OK
    Its got the electric start and right hand shifter. Gonna take some getting used to. Have only got to ride it about 10 miles so far, tags are out and tires are 20 yrs old, but it was a blast. Took a bit of tinkering with the old Bendix carb but it fires right off now. Everyone keeps telling me to go to the CV carb with it but I'm on the fence about it. As big of a PITA as CV carbs have always been on my Japanese bikes I'm not in a big hurry to have another one to deal with.
     
  4. retread83

    retread83 Member

    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Homossasa, FL
    Ken,owned my 69 for 15 years. Had electric start only,added kick start. Get it set up right and it will start right up,make sure it's on compression!!! Check your timing or you will break your starter. Get ready to learn the Milwaukee shuffle. I had a tillotsen carb,ran great. P.S.,she never marked her spot either!
     

Share This Page