1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Engine Revs way up when the choke is shut off!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by shoeman502, Sep 6, 2010.

1. shoeman502

shoeman502 New Member

I just rebuilt the carbs and fired the bike up. Took alittle to get it going, but soon it was purring like a kitten. I went to shut the choke off (bike was warmed up) and the engine races to about 5000 rpms! Shut the choke off and the idle will go back down. Not as far as it should but way less that 5000 rpms. Where do i start? Do I have an air leak somewhere?

2. shoeman502

shoeman502 New Member

Just a note: I was also using a funnel and hose for a gas tank. If that makes any difference. Could I have the jets mixed araound? I'm at a loss!

3. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

Sounds like you have a air leak or a choke problem, like they arent sealing back up.

4. yamaman

yamaman Member

possibility of the air jets under the diaphram could be reversed. the larger # is the Pilot Air Jet and goes towards the front of the bike

5. shoeman502

shoeman502 New Member

I did not remove the two airs jets when I rebuilt the carb. I'm just going to go back through the carb and check the intake boots for leaks.

6. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Be sure that the choke cable and the throttle cable are not reversed.

7. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

Disconect the choke cable completely, start it and reach down with ur hand under there and choke it to get it going, and then once it warms up, see if your problem is gone, if it is, then you know your cable is binding somewhere and not letting them close and seat.

8. Crush

Crush New Member

Good advice about disconnecting the choke cable. I've moved my 'choke' lever on the handlebars in the wrong direction, too, at times. Simple mistake, but it happens. These old bikes have lost their lettering in a lot of places.

My 700 has an over-rev issue, too. The intake manifolds were not as tight as I expected, and their gaskets were less than perfect. I Permatex'd and reassembled, but no change in rev problem.

9. mdee

mdee Member

Make sure the idle screw is backed off. Without opening the butterflies, I would think it difficult to get to 5K rpm. Maybe the carbs are far out of sync.