1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

can someone PLEASE post a pic of front spindle

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by munkiep, Aug 22, 2010.

1. munkiep

munkiep Member

i need a high res pic of the rotor side of a maxim 550. i have a feeling something is not arranged correctly (washers, spacers), hence my handlebars point to the right when the wheel is straight

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

Get an exploded view HERE

3. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

i don't think it would matter how things were mounted. although i can't really see anything being mounted other then the right way. you only have one bolt. and it's pretty snug inside the rim so it be hard for a tire to be crooked.

your handlebars are crooked for whatever reason.

4. wizard

wizard Active Member

Snowwy, there are plenty of components that can get in the wrong order.

5. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Are the forks or handlebars possibly bent?

6. munkiep

munkiep Member

well, the handle bars were way crooked when i got it, then i put about 6 washers between the nut and the fork on the spindle and it straightened the bars out alot. ive tried that exploded view wiz, but it doesnt list anything for the xj550j and the xj550rj doesnt look like mine, the rotor is on the wrong side of the wheel, if you flipped the image, then i am missing #18

isnt a rj model a seca?

7. wizard

wizard Active Member

The rj has the disc on the right, the j has it on the left (both depicted)
    & the disc bolts to the wheel & won't effect the internal parts on the spindle.

8. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Doesn't this sound like the forks are twisted? Maybe loosen the clamps at the triple tree, the lower brace and then give the handlebars a turn 'till everything lines up?

As long as the axle is through both sides of the wheel and in the clamps the wheel should be pointing the same direction as the handlebars. No shims, no spacers, no rotor it should still line up. It would move side to side but should still point the right direction.

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

10. munkiep

munkiep Member

according to this picture, which is exactly what my 550 looks like, it seems im missing #18. also, the spindle bolt was pulled so far thru the wheel that the holes on the right side to hold the spindle in place, were in the fork housing, not visible at all. that "collar" wouldnt be in the hub of the whee would it, making it so i cant see it?
    star motorcycle 650j

11. munkiep

munkiep Member

i completely disassembled the front wheel and spindle, that collar is in fact missing. lovely PO's. can anyone give me an exact length of that collar? i can make one from some steel tubing i have laying around from modifying the frame.

12. mdee

mdee Member

#18 (collar) goes over the largest diameter (the non-threaded end) of axle. It is not a part that gets tightened with the axle nut.
    The part confuses me too. I have no problems with my wheel or front end. That collar can slide about 1/16 inch on the axle with wheel assembled and tight. Has always been that way. Pushing right fork to take up the space seems to bend the fork out of wack. Comes back to me from MC tech after new tire in same orientation with 1/16 gap between fork and wheel bearing. It looks to me like I could remove that collar and would make no difference that I can tell.

Most all the other parts are tightened (squeezed) from that step down in diameter on the axle thru the left fork using the axle nut.

13. munkiep

munkiep Member

well, with nothing between the larger end of the spindle/axle and the bearing in the wheel, i can hold a screwdriver in the hole at the end as i tighten the castle nut and it pulls the spindle in so far, that i can see the screwdriver starting to bend. it also threads the nut so far down, that the cotter pin hole is about 1/8 inch away from the very top of the nut

14. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

my ninja got ran over by a semi last year. i was able to loosen the clamps. roll the bike forward kinda hard. lock the front brakes while pushing down on the handlebars at the same time. couple of times and the handlebars got straight again. but they weren't that far off after the accident. just enough to drive you nuts. and screw up the turning radius on one side while the other side went sharper.

you say your missing a peace. just an idea but how a big nut from the hardware store. big enough to fit over the axle bolt. or like youi suggested. a peace of pipe.

according to the ficher though. #18 it's still available and only $9.

15. mdee

mdee Member

I have a Seca 750 so it’s possibly different, but that drawing looks to be same.
    Maybe you are missing one of the other parts or they are the wrong parts.

To help you with orientation:
    The end with hole for screw driver has axle diameter that goes thru the left fork hole.
    Match up the axle diameter step down to the right wheel bearing outside edge, then the hole thru axle on right side and the threads on left side should be oriented proper and the wheel position should be centered between forks.