1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

rear brake question from new guy

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kyrik, Sep 16, 2010.

1. kyrik

kyrik New Member

I've been lurking here for a while now. Everytime I've had a question I've searched and found what I was looking for. I'd like to thank everyone.

Now for my question. I've searched and can't find a picture of the rear brake lever spring. I don't know if that"s the correct terminology or not but it's what i've been calling it. It's the big spring on the back of (inside of frame) the rear brake pedal (lever). I removed the pedal to remove the bracket that holds the muffler on and the spring came loose and I don't know if I'm stupid or what but, I can't figure out how to put it back on. A picture of where it rests or how it keeps pressure on the lever would be awesome. That's all that's keeping me from riding. Thanks in advance 'ol xj gods......

The bike is a 1982 550 maxim.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Argh. Somebody posted a pic but that was a long time ago and it may have been deleted.

I can get you a pic but it's gonna take a while the bikes are in a bad position and it's raining out (have to pull them out to switch them around.)

BUT will a good description do?

The round hook end goes around the front of the vertical part of the actuating lever that's attached to the shaft, below the tab for the brake light switch spring. The straight end stops UP against the underside of the bracket with the lever stop adjusting screw in it.

Easy way to reattach it (it's a PIA) is: Take the pedal off, slide the whole shaft assembly toward the inside of the bike and get the hooky part hooked over the front of the vertical actuator lever. Then push the whole mess back in place, and use a big (as in BIG) screwdriver or pair of Channel-Locks to push the straight tail of the spring down far enough to clear the adjusting screw tab and slide the shaft outboard until it's in position. Reattach lever; adjust brake free-play using the adjuster at the back wheel; and the pedal's "at rest" position using the screw/locknut on the bracket you just hooked the spring under. Easy-squeezy.

Still need a pic? (it's still raining...)

3. kyrik

kyrik New Member

thanks man. I wont be able to get out and mess with it until tomorrow. I'll check it out and see whats up. A picture would probably still be helpful. A picture after all is worth a thousand words they say. Appreciate the explanation 'ol wise one.

4. jonathon

jonathon Member

Hi guys,

I'm having a similar problem, however mine is a little more drastic.

The bike has been sitting for about 4 weeks, she wouldn't start, battery died almost immediately. So i was having a general look through all the obvious parts and there I saw a snapped cable. At first I couldn't work out what it was then I realised it was the sprung cable that attaches the rear brake pedal to the rear light.

So yeah its snapped.

Is it easy to fashion one of these out of wire? Or is there somebody on here who has some stock? She an '83 XJ650.

cheers

J

5. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

uppe right hand corner where it says Xj4ever, Chacal has them, and there relatively unexpensive.

6. jonathon

jonathon Member

Does the part have a name??

7. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

A paper clip and needle nose plier ?? until you can sort it proper, of course.

8. jonathon

jonathon Member

Ok so I got the new spring/wire. The only problem is that it's a bit long, shouldn't be too hard to bend it and make the upper loop longer, shortening the whole piece.

Bit i'm wondering if it is meant to be touching the frame that its sits over. By the looks of it, it will rub every time it moves?

Does anyone have a photo of a correctly installed unit?

cheers

J

9. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You can go to a Hardware Store and look at the display they have for a wide variety of Springs.

You'll see one with a short winding of Spring Coils with 6-Inches of straight Spring Wire at both ends.
    $2.89 gets you this Generic Spring.

YOU have to fashion it to connect the Brake Pedal Connection to the Hole in the Pull-down Rear Brake Switch.

Hold the new Spring in the Space it needs to fit so the Coils don't hit frame or suspension.
    Mark it where it needs to bend with a Magic Marker.
    Cut the Wire with Lineman's Pliers.
    HEAT one end and make a Tight -- Open -- Loop
    Cool with a Wet Rag

Hang this off the Brake Switch
    Mark-off where it needs to Bend.
    Mark-of where it needs the other Loop.
    Cut.
    Heat and make a "Jay-end"
    Cool.
    Heat and make Anti-rattle Bends.
    Cool.

10. jonathon

jonathon Member

Yeah yeah i get all that.

But when properly installed does part of the wire touch/rub the frame?

I can't see how to avoid this.

cheers

11. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

you might have a spring that's too big in diamater.

auto parts stores also sell springs. but probably in a kit. they are called throttle return springs for carburetors. they used to sell springs that were close to what the original spring is in them kits.

12. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

No it shouldn't touch th frame, as rick said you need to put an appropriate bend in th replacement spring, if you don't get an oem type

13. jeffcoslacker

jeffcoslacker Member

14. Robert

Robert Active Member

You can always sheath the spring in a piece of hose to reduce the speed of paint removal but, short of just springing the $10 for a new switch that comes with the correct spring, it will continue to remove paint.

15. jonathon

jonathon Member

Ok great, i see the bend that is required, I guess this bend is the weak point that makes it break, was confused about why such a part would snap spontaneously.

I had to buy the whole switch assembly and the wire part was not pre-bent. But its ok, I have pliers.

cheers

J