1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ignition switch?????

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by benchpress, Sep 23, 2010.

1. benchpress

benchpress New Member

Hi folks.

Quick question:
    I can't seem to start my 81 xj650. When I turn the key on the neutral light comes on but not the head light and the bike won't turn over. Is it the ignition switch? The fuses all look good.

2. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Your headlight won't come on until the engine is running. Check your kill Switch and make sure its in the run position.

MN

3. benchpress

benchpress New Member

I got it running but took the headlight off to get at the connection and its very corroded. I need to clean inside the apparatus.

My spark plugs are black as night. I think I need a carb clean. Is there any fuel system treatment I could dump in the tank to keep the bike running semi-clean until winter?

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

Well, black plugs are not a sign that you need to clean the carbs but it sure couldn't hurt. You could use some SeaFoam to clean up the carbs a bit but it isn't a substitute to pulling the carbs and giving them a proper cleaning, which I would do regardless.
    Most likely, you need to tune the beast up and tweak the air/fuel screws.
    As for the headlight connections, I'd spring for the Harbor Freight cheapy mini abrasive blaster (about $40 or so) and clean them up nice.
    Good luck!

5. benchpress

benchpress New Member

Just curious what Seafoam is? Sorry nver heard of it. Do you run it through the tank with the fuel. I got some Carbmedic in there right now and hopefully it will clean the carbs out a bit too.

Any advice I'd sure appreciate. Thanks so much Rick.

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

Until I joined this forum, neither had I. It is a fuel/oil (take your pick) additive that works well as a preventative fuel/sump system cleaner. I've found it at O'riley, Pep Boys, and Autozone. Other automotive supply houses should have it too. In the offhand chance you don't find it, Berrymann's B-12 Chemtool is an excellent product as well. Use it as a fuel system cleaner at about 1/4 can to a tank of high test. When I used it quarterly, I didn't have to tear the carbs apart every 6 months.

7. jeffcoslacker

jeffcoslacker Member

I've been using Techron, with good results. 5 years of trouble free carbs...

8. benchpress

benchpress New Member

Sweet! Thanks so much Guys! I'm definetly going to grab some.