1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

85 Maxim X aftermarket seat options ...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kvcobra, Oct 11, 2010.

1. kvcobra

kvcobra New Member

I'm new to this 'Bike' thing. This past weekend finally made a 150 miles ride on my 85 Maxim X and boy that seat is about to give me a hamroid. I need help selecting a more confurtable seat regardless of price. What have you guys try that works well.

I search JCwitney but they do not show my model year. I don't want to ride home standing up again.... Thanks.

2. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

I have a friend that wears bicyle shorts under his pants on long rides. There are many different types and have a nice gel insert to cushion the ride a bit.

I found air shocks give me a WAY BETTER ride....combine bicycle shorts and air shocks and I bet I can go 350 miles before I get sore.

3. BillB

BillB Active Member

those brand new bikes you two ride sure are purdy

4. kvcobra

kvcobra New Member

I'm sure someone has bought or modify their seat. If so share it with us. I will try the bicycle short but not sure what you mean by air shocks. I did some reading about redo / modify the foam completely but it doesn't look easy. I'll check locally to see if any bike shops are doing custom seats.

5. eEjeremy

eEjeremy New Member

You think an XJ seat is bad you should try a modern sport bike for 600+ miles

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

7. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

Air shocks:
    http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_c ... mmyId=1951
    The entire bike rides on a cushion of air with oil dampening instead of bouncy stiff springs.
    My bike with air shocks: http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll16 ... ropped.jpg

Changing the seat only improves the intersection of you and the bike.
    (the bike will still bounce around on rough pavement) and beat your back-side.
    Changing the shocks makes the whole bike ride much more smooth (like a air ride semi truck compared to a spring suspension)...if the bike isn't bouncing, you feel much less abuse.

I have heard good things about these pads but never rode on one.
    http://www.buttbuffer.com/info.asp

Remember the X is a light bike and not really a long distance touring machine like a gold wing.