1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Struts and Bars

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by dj007, Oct 15, 2010.

1. dj007

dj007 New Member

Well I just threw some struts on the bike have a bit of customizing to do to finish up though. Bought these from road6customs on ebay for $35 so if anyone else is wanting to try out the rigid ride these work good. Only prob is they are for a sporty so i had to grind the upper mounting bolt a little to slim it down as well as grind the struts for the bottom mount as they were a bit wide but after about 45 min worth of work ( half was spent staring and planning) they were on and I was off for a test ride. Also, I'm going to build me some t bars as the only ones I've seen only have a rise of about 7" and I'm looking for 10". So in trying to stay different I'm planning on building some out of copper. I have to buy way more pipe than I'm needing to build them so should be able to make at least 3 total was wondering if anyone would possibly be interested in a set before I go for it. Oh and I've heard the whole copper isn't strong enough argument but I'm going to fill them with expansion foam which should provide more than enough strength.

[​IMG]

2. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

hey man, im running the same struts, I have over 600 miles on mine. but im running a metal seat pan, so I get the full effect of rigid, haha. As for Copper, they make a "harder" version. I found it online, I was searching google for 7/8" OD Copper, and one site had regular and then a heavier duty, i think it was like 25 bux for 4' of the heavier stuff. Just thought i'd give you that to ponder. other than that the scoot is looking good.

3. dj007

dj007 New Member

Thanks yeah I hate the big marshmallow seat, plan on either hammering one out next week or stealing a solo off another bike of mine. It's finally getting cool enough to work on stuff. Down in South MS its too dang hot in the summer.
    I got more time than I do cash and plenty of scrap stuff around so this will be yet another frankenstein bike although its only got 5000 miles on it. I know that will upset some people on here lol.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

"I'm going to fill them with expansion foam which should provide more than enough strength."
    are you serious ?

5. pauluminous

pauluminous Member

Same question popped in my head.
    Also don't really think that with heavy duty copper pipe they mean heavy duty as in the abuse handlebars will sustain, especially with 10" rise. A heavy duty water pipe is not so heavy duty on a bike.

6. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Foam might help with vibration and copper look's awesome but definitely not strong enough for handlebars.

7. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

maybe 7/8 solid copper bar would work. Still probably not.

Just build them out of steel then get them copper plated or painted.

8. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

heck with the foam, if your not worried about weight and only want strength, fill it up with concrete. them bars will be super fricken sturdy then.

9. dj007

dj007 New Member

Only 7/8" pipe i can get around here is copper. I have seen the expansion foam line up power poles so i know its some pretty tough stuff but if not concrete is the second option lol. I should have time next week to build em so either it'll work or I'll be eating my nike's and you guy's can commence with the I told you sos :lol: