1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

WANTED- Chrome "5 Valve" Maxim X carb covers, airbox trim

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Mackey, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Mackey

Mackey New Member

I have a 1986 Maxim X, and I'm looking for the plastic pieces that cover the carbs on each side, and if possible, the small chrome corner pieces that fit on the upper portion of the airbox.

Please let me know if you have any of these floating around on a parts bike, in the spare parts box in the garage, or if you are stripping yours for a bobber project, etc.

Thanks!

2. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

They are getting hard to find, and if you want nice ones they are damn near impossible.
    There is a pair on Ebay with some broken tabs and not great chrome for $50
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-M ... ccessories

You'll also find the airbox covers occasionally. They are the same as on the airhead XJ700N so they seem a bit "less rare"

3. kvcobra

kvcobra New Member

Great bike, Mike. Looks flawless like rolling off show room. I may try to restore mine but will never get the handle bar control to look like yours.

4. Mackey

Mackey New Member

Well, I've certainly seen better ones (not missing mount tab) for cheaper, but you have to jump on them when they come up. Ended up grabbing these- hopefully they'll look OK, and I can work on the missing tab.

Thanks for the tip and link- I'm not sure how this listing escaped my search, but they clearly didn't escape yours.

Have a great one.

5. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

I got extremely lucky and nabbed both sides NOS off Ebay about a year apart.
    I MISSED out on a NOS speedo that someone stole for $100 while I forgot about the auction...

You can spruce up the red and grey plastic bits by taking the controls completely apart and using a high speed tool with a carbide burr to shave the faded plastic off (like a die grinder and a rotary file). You need to have the switch securely fastened to something along with a good straight edge. An end-mill is really the way to do it!
    Follow up with a little Novus plastic polish scratch remover and they look like new.
    While it's apart, strip and paint the other parts and follow up with some artistic placement of the white paint letters.

6. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

you still looking? I have three sets and I have extra air box covers.

The chrome 5 valve covers aren't great, but they work. I think they are missing the mounting tabs, or one on each. I have very good condition airbox covers. For both sets shipped I'll takc $50

7. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

You know, I've been wondering what it would take to make metal castings of the 5-valve and airbox covers? Bet it would be expensive but they would never break.

8. Mackey

Mackey New Member

@mcrwt644, thanks for the follow up- I actually found a set of the carb covers. I'm still keeping my eyes open for the airbox pieces, but I'm in no hurry as the carb covers were my primary focus.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I'm going to keep my bike or maybe sell it for a more traditional cruiser.... I DO like that engine, though! The thing can scoot!