1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Left turn signal doesn't blink

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by JAF81Seca750, Oct 23, 2010.

1. JAF81Seca750

JAF81Seca750 New Member

This only affects the left signal. Turn it on and the display and the front and rear left lights all stay on constant. Lights all go off when you cancel the signal. Right signals work fine. Relay? Or?

Thanks
    JAF

2. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Hi Jaf,
    Have you put lower wattage bulbs in by mistake? or
    Higher wattage bulbs with a flat battery(not running) or
    Bad earthing on one or more of the bulbs (same outcome as the first suggestion. not enough current draw)
    Normally the older flasher relay works off the current draw and the relay circuit to do the flashing is the same for both sides, just controlled by the switch... so I guess the switch could be at fault too but it would put the relay in the clear if the one side is working fine.

3. 1982xj650seca

1982xj650seca Member

If I remember correctly, when one bulb isn't working correctly then that entire side will not blink. This was happening to me when I first got my bike, so I changed out the bulbs (taking careful note of proper wattage) and it still didn't fix it.

For me, it was corrosion in the socket where the bulb connects. Clean it out with a piece of steel wool, pack in some dielectric grease, and good as new. Everything flashed just fine.

Probably not the relay. The flasher on these XJ's seems to be pretty solid. Definitely not the first thing that I would assume.

4. JAF81Seca750

JAF81Seca750 New Member

Awesome, will try as mentioned. Yes this happened today will riding. (constant signal) I've had the bike a week and the signal was working fine up until today. I did take it out when it was really cold a couple mornings ago.

Will clean connects and test again. Thanks, otherwise this thing is running like a tank. Just flipped to 14k. Minimal issues so far. Hopefully this turns out to be a great starter bike.

JAF

5. railtrolley

railtrolley Member

What a coincidence. I had exactly the same problem today. Turns out it was a dirty connection on the ground wire, where it connects to a Y connector, which also grounds the RH front turn signal. Behind the headlight. Works ok now.

6. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

While you are checking the wiring connestions go ahead and dissamble the handlebar signal switch. I have had the same problem and cleaning the switch solved it.