1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Brake MC and reservoir swap.

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Tegyauto, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Tegyauto

Tegyauto Member

Hello everyone!

I just got an 81 maxim 650 and the front brake feels kind of dead along with the fact of the master cylinder and reservoir not being to my taste. Is there a common swap from another bike that can be done. The lines will be made stainless and the pad swapped along with the change so my bases are covered.

My inspiration for the bike is this:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/ ... ansformed/

Also how hard is it to swap the throttle control? Is there a common swap for that?

Thanks in advance
    -Grant

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

Pretty cool chop.
    Some of the XJ750s have the remote M/C.
    Ant 7/8" throttle control will work, but what about all the controls?

3. Tegyauto

Tegyauto Member

only the kill switch is on that side right? shouldn't be too hard to wire a new one up at a different location.

I'm more worried about how the throttle connects to the control. its cable actuated right? Do I just run a new cable or is there another problem that I'd run into?

I'm used to working on cars lol this bike stuff is hard to wrap my head around.

4. wizard

wizard Active Member

You should have a start button & the light switch over there, old bean.

5. Tegyauto

Tegyauto Member

I don't have the bike handy but I know your right on the starter I feel stupid for forgetting that lol. I don't however remember a light switch on that side. The other side has the high/low beam switch but in the US our headlights are perma-on.

6. Tegyauto

Tegyauto Member

Oh and I'm a bit leery on the 750 mc due to it being larger I presume for the dual disks. Idk if that matters or not but I would assume it would.

7. waldo

waldo Member

Wow that is a nice looking bike I wonder how many hours they put in it.

8. Tegyauto

Tegyauto Member

Nobody has swapped either part? I find that hard to believe.

9. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Ya quite a few have swapped. Use the search box to search the forums. I am going to be upgrading mine this winter. Using a r6 or r1, ltz 400, fj or something the like. If you do a search I believe chacal has something about the bore diameters and such. A lot of jap stuff is fairly universal, just make sure it is before you buy something though. I will be better help after I do it, so if you get it done before me I will ask you!

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

the throttle is kind of generic cable setup, just so the cable is right to let idle be idle at the carbs and full is full at the carbs
    the MC ain't too hard mine is from a gsxr or a r something, your brakes probably feel bad because of the old rubber lines
    the switches, there's just to many wires there that still work for me to mess with but you can find them on the google machine

11. Tegyauto

Tegyauto Member

Sounds good!

My main concern with the mc is exploding my caliper (either the piston or seals). If I'm usin ss lines they won't give and all that extra presure from a larger mc "piston" is going to mess with my single caliper setup. I think it's going to be key to find a single caliper bike with a small caliper.

12. wizard

wizard Active Member

I think you are worrying unduly, use Dot3 or Dot4, not semtex.

13. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

you'll break off the lever before you hurt the piston or seal

14. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

something off an r6 or gsxr would work. The bore size is the only thing you need to be concerned about. Too small of a bore size will not move the fluid enough to build up considerable pressure.

The bore size is usually cast into the side of the mc (11, 12, 13... 1/2...). It should be a 14 for a 650.

Find an aethetically pleasing one with the same bore size, or even a 13 will move enough fluid.

15. tweav

tweav New Member

I've got this 14mm one from a yamaha yzf450 4 wheeler on my max.

[​IMG]

16. schooter

schooter Active Member

you can sway anything, right now i have a cb750 MC works fine, clutch perch and lever is off a predator 500, works fine and is nice with the extra bid lever, makes the clutch pull seem less, I have ONE wire going to the front of my bike, for my headlight.

I wont have a clutch cable, and hopefully no messy MC or brake lines or calipers to mess up my wheel, I'm going to try and put a water buffalo front wheel on with a 8" drum and virago spoke on the back

17. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

That's a slick bike in the link. Quite a few hours wrapped up into that one.

If that is the look you are going for, search ebay for a motocross throttle. If you are looking for a new one, go to parts unlimited/drag specialties and purchase the universal throttle assembly. It's a good looking control and comes with a cable, all you will need to do is replace the ball end on the carb side; however, your cable length will depend on the type of bars you are planning to run.

The off-on-off (on-off-on, can't remember) switch and starter switch are the only controls on the old throttle assembly. There are some easy fixes, ie, remote toggle switches. Just get yourself a two-position toggle switch for the on-off-on and find a place you want to mount it. As for the starter switch, you could run a generic kill switch from a m/c bike, but just be on the lookout because some of the generic switches will ground out against your bars and the switch will permanently be in the 'on' position... this could be fixed with a rubber grommet or some electrical tape.

Possiblities are endless. Just find the direction you want to run with and go from there. My advice is neither right nor wrong, it just reflects the design I went with for my xj.

18. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

R1 front master and Royal Star Alum switches / throttle unit.
    Making the switches work was part of a rewire with sealed connectors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. dan_betzing

dan_betzing New Member

I agree, I think you might be looking too deeply into this. i swapped mine out for a 7/8" universal I found on ebay for like 30 bucks and havent had any issues. Just make sure that whatever you switch to has the brake light switch so your lights will still work. Good luck!