1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Clutch problem??

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ddavis513, Oct 26, 2010.

1. ddavis513

ddavis513 New Member

Hi all okay i have a problem with my 1993 seca2. Earlier today it fired up fine and ran smoothly after a quick warm-up. I parked it in my driveway for about 2 hours and during that time a huge storm hit. My bike was uncovered during the 70+ mph winds and crazy down-pouring. After the weather cleared up i fired my bike up again and allowed it to warm up, but this time after i get to aout 4000rpm it starts to sputter and jerk around. Its basically un rideable and cut off on my 3 times while trying to go up hill. I tried riding with the gas cap open and thats not the problem. My plugs were replaced about 2 weeks ago and im on a full tank of gas. Do you think that it could possibly be my clutch going out? And if so how can it go out in 2 hours of sitting time?

2. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

If it ran fine before you parked it there is no way it could go bad sittin in your driveway. sounds like you have a short in your electrical system. It may just have waited to get wet to rear it's ugly head. After it dries up a day or so you should be back in business.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Try to "Dry-Out".
    A Compressed Air ... "Blow-off" might help you.

Make sure there isn't any debris preventing the Spark Plug Canyons from draining-out.

4. ddavis513

ddavis513 New Member

Ok i will let it dry out for a few days and then ill repost if the problem persists

5. tjwor

tjwor New Member

The only thing that would come to my mind would be if water could have got into the gas tank, but it is kinda a long shot. With 70MPH winds it could have been pushing some through the cap, but I still think it would be hard to get enough to cause any noticeable problems.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Could the air filter have gotten soaked? It won't dry out at all quickly unless you open the airbox up.

7. ddavis513

ddavis513 New Member

Ok so today i tried riding it up and down the street even while it was sputtering for about 10 minutes in seciond gear and it started running normal. Even all the gears work fine 1-6. I dont know what happened but whatever it was its gone for the time being.

8. hbennick

hbennick Member

See, if you ignore it, it WILL go away!

9. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

My Bike will not start after it's been washed and scrubbed and rinsed.
    Nothing.

Leave it in the Sun 'til it hurts getting on the sun-baked seat, ...
    Varoom.

I figure the jolt from the Coils never makes it to the Gap because the moisture just grounds-out the charge until the path dries-out and the Plug fires.

Or not.
    But, it works for me.

10. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

my problem is usually the moisture in the plug caps. :)

11. Lou627

Lou627 Member

I used to have a similar problem, until I made a waterproof electrical box out of a rubber gasket sealed ammo can. For me, my TCI would not work properly if even slightly damp. Is it your problem? I couldn't tell you, just adding a piece to the puzzle. Seems that each bike reacts differently to moisture.