1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Pulled the carbs today.....

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ravenz07, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

I thought I would attach some pictures and you pros can tell me how things look and what will need to be done. #3 and 4 carbs failed the "plunk" test.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this last picture, which is the right way to have the floats hanging on the tang? All of the carbs are like that on the right of this pic, but the float on the #1 isnt attached the same. Is the carb on the right the correct way?

[​IMG]

All in all, Id say the carbs look pretty good, there wasnt any gunk in the float bowls. They are filthy on the outside at least, on the inside, it looks like they need some light cleaning. The diaphragms seem in pretty good condition.

I havent taken out the jets, is there any special procedure to know about this?

2. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

If you're going to do one, do them all. I followed Rick's methodology and used some 600 grit sandpaper and WD40. Take a small strip, fold a bit over at the end to give your fingertip something to grab onto, and spritz the rest. Do maybe a quarter of the bore at a time. Works wonders.

Oh, and I wouldn't store the diaphragms/pistons on their side like that.

I'm not entirely certain what you're referring to, unless you're talking about the float needle; three of them having one wire wrapped around the tang, where the last has two. If that's what caught your eye, be at ease; that part makes absolutely no difference what-so-freaking-ever.

On the other hand, that gives me the impression that the float needle in question isn't the same as the others; if it's longer than the rest, then setting the float levels can get a bit more complicated.

Not a "special procedure", per se, but remember that the main jet holds the emulsion tube in place. Also; Rick has time and again put forth some sage advice about screwdrivers.

When using a screwdriver with jets or mixture screws, make sure that the blade has NO free play whatsoever. None. Get thee to the 99 cent store, grab a couple, and spend some quality time with Mr. Grinder. (With the Mikuni carbs, it's almost a requirement.)

I've put a file online; it doesn't give a detailed dismantling of the Hitachis, but it may or may not help (I did it up when I was changing throttle shaft seals).

http://mok.fileave.com/Hitachi%20Carb%20Breakdown.pdf

You might also be wondering, "How does one set the fuel level?" Glad you asked...

http://mok.fileave.com/FUEL%20LEVEL%20draft%208c.pdf

3. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

Good thing the diaphragms havent been sitting too long.

Ive never done this before so Im need all advice I can get. I have been trying read up on it as much as I can. I also have the XJCD, but somethings are still a mystery to me. I will probably wetsand the diaphragms in a bit to make sure they are smooth.

That was what I was referring to. Ill let you know if it is the same or not. I can see someone has gone through these before. Luckily, so far it seems things were done pretty well. The closest thing I can see as far as damage goes is whoever went through these scratched numbers into everything. I guess it will help to keep me organized.

Im not really sure what an emulsion tube is? Will it need to be removed for cleaning? So far, I havent had any problems with screws (thankfully). I had a slight problem with one drainage screw, but I was able to get it out without damaging anything. I soaked all screws with some WD40 before I attempted any screws.

Im hoping not to have to change throttle shaft seals. With that being said, I guess dipping is out of the question? What is a good way to get everything cleaned up without harming these seals are the cosmetic look of the carbs themselves? Im thinking of soda blasting the carb bodies (not inside) to clean them up a bit, any opinions on that?

Thanks again, I will be posting pictures of my progress when available.

4. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

Well what do you know......

[​IMG]

So what do I do about this? Should I get a replacement?

5. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

What I did before I tore into mine for the first time was run down to a wrecking yard and buy a spare set to practice on first. Not required by any means, but I thought it prudent.

It's not the diaphragm pistons that you're sanding down, it's the bore that they came out of.

You know that brass thing that the needle on the diaphragm piston goes into? That thing.

Yes. There are a series of holes in them that need to be kept open. Again, the main fuel jet is what holds it in the carb body. If it doesn't come out on its own after you remove the jet (turn the carb body upside down), then you can gently nudge it from the bottom.

From the XJCD main menu; click on "Carburetors and Fuel", and the first how-to you should see is "Cleaning the Hitachi Carbs". The pictures are a wee bit small for my taste, but every bit helps.

Pretty much. That, plus there's the teensy rubber o-ring under the mixture screw, and the rubber boot over the starter plunger. If you want to dip the bodies, you're going to have to pull every single piece. What you can dip safely without a complete disassemble are the jets, the emulsion tubes, and the float bowls.

I've never done it, so I couldn't say. Probably just wipe them down as best you can with rags and carb cleaner.

You can do this. Hell, if *I* can do it, anyone can.

Well, well, what have we here...

Probably do the entire set, if for no other reason than to make absolutely, positively sure that all four match. After all, if you get one replacement, there's no guarantee it'll be the same as the other three.

6. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

Oh ok, so then I am wetsanding the carb themselves where the piston slides, I got it now.

So now that I have the floats off, I take the jets off right? I take off all three things on the bottom of the carb that is almost in a linear formation?

Ill see how much Chacal wants for a set. Does anyone know the part number for these floats? I figured replacing all would be a good idea too.

7. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

Also, do I go ahead and pull the jets out of the top of the carbs? I think there is two if I remember right.

The main jet on my second carb wont come off, it just keeps spinning freely and wont pull of. Any ideas?

8. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

Got the main jet off. I wasnt aware that the main jet screwed into the emulsifier tube. Had to hold the emulsifier tube still while I unscrewed the jet.

I suppose another question I would like to ask is this; What parts CANNOT be soaked in cleaner?

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The carb bodies if the throttle shaft seals are still in them.

Anything rubber.

Also, there is no reason to replace the floats if they are not cracked or damaged. They're solid hunks of plastic and don't really wear out.

10. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

I take my carbs into a local yamaha shop and use the ultrasonic cleaner they have. It uses a "detergent" rather than a volitile cleaner like carb dip or cleaner. Safe for rubber parts... Gets the carbs clean and looking almost like new. Costs about $25 for me to do it.

11. Robert

Robert Active Member

I use a scotch-brite buff to clean the slide bores. Much easier with a dremel than by hand! Use the fine grade, I don't remember the color. Do Not buff out the slides, they are coated. Soda blast away, it won't hurt the carbs and rinses off nicely (this is what I do). Ultrasonic is nice for a final clean, in my experience it doesn't get the corrosion off. Your carbs are beautiful by comparison to the set I'm working on right now. #3 on my set was rusted solid (thank Heaven for Evap-o-rust! $20 a gallon at Harbor Freight). Check those shaft seals and see if they are hard, if they even blink sideways, replace them.

12. formula

formula New Member

Is it just me or do the floats look like they are on upside down. the floats should hang into the bowl not vise versa .

13. Robert

Robert Active Member

Nope, they are correct. Hope yours aren't in upside down Formula!

14. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

Haha, I hope I didnt raise a debate!

Fitz, do you think there will be a problem trying to adjust fuel levels with a different float needle on that carb? Is that what you are referring to?

Im going to try to clean up what I can on the outside of the carbs, and then try a soda blast. I suppose I will see what happens from there. I will get some cleaner today and let the parts soak. Can the emulsifier tube be soaked as well? On the XJCD, it says some parts are just wiped off, I would rather soak them and make sure they are clean inside and out.

Do I remove the jets on the top of the carbs as well?

15. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

more pictures!!! this thread is helpful because im about to do the same for the first time. keep up the good work

16. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

Ill take some more in just a sec, what would you like some pics of? I may do some sort of how-to do build of the XJCD a bit, those small pics are not too helpful.

17. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

Well I am pretty sure I stripped the pilot air jet. What should I do? Leave it in? Or get it out somehow and replace it?

18. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Leave it in.

You don't have to remove the Air Jets.

If its loose. Touch the seam with LockTite.

19. formula

formula New Member

Na I know mine are right side up. On further inspection of a parts break down they are correct sorry just looked weird.

20. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

Thanks Rick, it certainly isnt loose lol.