1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Colored bulb better behind colored lens? Incandescent

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Metal_Bob, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Just a curiosity.

Are colored bulbs (ie amber) better/bright behind colored lens?

I know they recommend matching color LED to the lens (unless clear) but what about the old fashion bulbs?

I happened to find some amber colored 1156 bulbs recently and I'm not ready to make the switch to LED turn signals/bulbs, so I was curious.

2. kirkn

kirkn Member

Y'know, I'd guess that an amber bulb would be dimmer behind the amber lens than a clear bulb behind an amber lens - I mean, an LED is one thing, but a colored incandescent bulb is just that - colored glass surrounding a normal filament. So, what would make the difference of putting TWO colored lenses in front of that filament?

Just seems like it'd be just one more 'filter' or barrier between the filament and the viewer's eye...

OTOH, I'm not clear (no pun intended) on why they recommend color-matching LEDs either.

Kirk

3. zap2504

zap2504 Member

Not sure either, but if you have an old-school photography light meter (or an old SLR with a built-in meter) you could measure both bulbs and see.

4. kirkn

kirkn Member

Hmm... Google surely is a wonderful thing.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=561417

I guess it primarily has to do with the fact that 'white' LEDs are a 'manufactured' color which ALREADY filters some of the light. Very interesting.

That said, I think my logic for incandescent bulbs is still true...