1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Battery Tender

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by KA1J, Nov 4, 2010.

1. KA1J

KA1J Member

Looking at keeping the batteries charged over the winter. Seems like the only battery trickle charger I find at the local bike shops is a Deltran Battery Tender. They're pricey little buggers especially considering their tiny wall wart size.

I have a Schumacher automatic battery charger (think it goes up to 2 amps max) which is for 6 & 12 V. Are these as good as the Deltran version? I don't know if this is brand recognition or unique ability for the Deltran to be so pricey.

Also want to get an AGM battery for the new bike, love it in the old one.

2. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

I have one I bought at Advance Auto parts. Whatever their house brand is. I think it was around $30. Has worked fine for two years now.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The Schumacher is a little bit "too much" for bike batteries, unless you keep an eye on it. (I have one too.)

I also have a Deltran, the "Jr." and it works great. Output is something like 0.75A and it's a true "float charger" you can leave it attached to a battery and it won't kill it long-term.

I bring all 3 bike batteries and my lawn tractor battery in the house and line them up on a shelf; the Deltran stays plugged in and gets rotated between batteries approximately once a week or when I think of it.

4. Jamie

Jamie Member

I have had the Deltran battery tender for about three (3) years and love it, no fuss, easy to use.

5. waldo

waldo Member

I cooked off a battery using a schumacher on the 2 amp setting totally forgot about it for a few days . Ive had the battery tender for probably three years now and use it on several bikes one has the AGM battery . Search online for one or check Fleabay just make sure its new and in sealed box

6. Graytwhyte

Graytwhyte New Member

Just ordered a "Jr" for $23. How long will take to charge up my XJ battery? Thanks

7. MACDBF

MACDBF Member

My " Jr" would charge the battery over night, I just plugged it in, and it was done by morning. Mind you, the battery was never fully dead. They're great for keeping the battery maintained. Not that good as a battery charger though!
    Mac

8. Graytwhyte

Graytwhyte New Member

Thanks!!!

9. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

i have a cheap version of a battery tender what i do with all my batteries is i put a 2 wire flat plug (like a boat trailer plug ) wire it right to the battery wire the other on the charger just move it from bike to bike even have 1 in my race car. keeps the battery topped off you will be surprised how it extends battery life not to mention wear and tear on your charging system

10. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I have great luck deltran batery tender. It gets pluged in to the bike after a ride, before I pet the dog.

11. KA1J

KA1J Member

When I mentioned the Schumacher I've got, it's not one of the larger units, it's about 2" x 3" x 5" & it has a max of 2 amps.

I used to have one of the 10 amp larger ones that were automatic chargers & also had a 2 amp setting but I always thought those 2 amps were not regulated. Not sure if this one was trickle or float.

I'll look for the floating variety.

Thanks!

12. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

I've got the Schumacher "Battery Companion" 1.5A courtesy of WallyMart. Charger/float maintainer. Has LEDs on the front to tell you whether it's charged, charging, or need to check the battery.

It also has detachable leads; it comes with a set of alligator clips and a set of ring terminals that you can leave attached to the battery. No more having to remove the side cover to hook the thing up; just connect the box to the pigtail, and away you go. I liked it so much, I made up another ring connector setup for the second bike. (It uses a standard trailer wiring connector.)

13. kayaker

kayaker Member

I picked up a "float charger" from Harbour Freight for $4. Thought I would give it a try. I had previously used a regular Schumacher which over did the charging. Not sure of the brand of the float charger, but if it works I will be happy. I am use to changing the charger on the 3 batteries I pull out for the winter.