1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

wheel swap?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by BAREfoot, Nov 10, 2010.

1. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

does anyone know what spoked wheel bike i can swap my wheels with..i was hoping on finding some spoked wheels... anyone done a swap?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Your 400 Maxim might just be similar enough to the earlier 400 twins that had wire spoked wheels. There was a "Heritage Special" based on the old twin shock SOHC bike as late as '82 and it had wire spoked wheels. I'd start there.

3. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

awesome... i'll definately check it out... might be hard to track one down... but we'll see.... not that i don't like the mag wheels..but i like the "old" look of bikes.... thanks man...

4. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Search for older XS 400's (the SOHC ones) or maybe a 650, but may be sprocket mounting issues on the 650's I believe the bolt pattern is different

5. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

I will tell you right now the tires are not a direct swap. I did do a wheel swap on my 400 maxim. My friend and I parted out a 400 special with spoked rims. i had to swap out the complete 400 special front end to make it fit correctly(easy swap out). Also the sprocket on the rear tire is not the same along with the spacers for the tire. I had to have some cut for my bike.

6. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

seems like a headach just for some wire..bahhhh! but the complete front end (forks and tripple clamps) fit fine in the tubestem with no issue?.. then that's something to consider... as for the sprocket.. well it's not hard to order a new one.. and it's not expensive so that's easy.. and i guess i just have to find someone to fab some spacers... i'm going to build my own hard tail.. so i'm wondering if i should get some wheels first and measure to them... but at the same time.. i'd never get my other wheels in if i decide to since the frame would be too small... what to do... haha..

now who's got a 400 special that they want to sell me the front end????anyone haha?

7. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

What about Virago wheels?

8. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

i checked them out.. the rear is a 15 inch.. not a big deal..just don't know how wide it is... quick question... will my breaks usually swap over..or do i have to go with the brakes from the other wheel... i see that a lot of them are dual disk or even drum.. mine are single front and drum rear..

9. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Not sure, come to think of it I think all Viragos are shaft drive so that wouldn't work on your 400 would it? Might look in to XS rims but you would have to convert the rear brake to a disc setup with a MC. Maybe some Kawasaki Vulcan rims from the same period would work for the rear,but the fronts had dual disc's.

10. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

still haven't found anything that'll work... this 400 sucks! haha... really wish it had an easy swap.. the rear i'm not worried about since it's going to be hardtailed anyway..so i can make it fit.. just the front i'm worried about if it'll fit my breaks or not...