1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

some people are on crack, I swear

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mcrwt644, May 14, 2009.

1. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

I'm constantly looking on CL for maxim x and magna parts and bikes. lately, I've noticed Walneck type prices for bikes. Like $2500 for an 81 xj650? Seriously? My Maxim x is virtually mint, and I don't know if I could get that much for it.

2. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Its riding season. Some people get that itch and have to have a bike. Best time to buy one is during the winter, when people dont wanna mess with their bikes.
    Still... 2500?? Nuts.
    That thing better have a rocket pack on it

3. Andreas

Andreas Member

Until there will be people paying that amount of money, there will be sellers asking for it....

The Dutch are often teased because they got the reputation of "i don't wanna pay so much"

(a notorious Belgian joke says: "How do you notice you've passed the border with Holland? There's toilet paper hanging on the wash line!")

But if we look here some prices...

About 1000/1100 $

http://link.marktplaats.nl/237506814

750$

http://www.2dehands.nl/xj-650-maxim-592 ... q=xj%20650

"Do a reasonable offer"

http://link.marktplaats.nl/240644979

4. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

very funny. I use to fix the older maxims (now do only maxim x's, yeah, I'm a snob) just for fun then sell them for a bit of profit and so someone could have an inexpensive ride. I don't think I ever sold one for more than $800. Heck this maxim x I may pick up this weekend won't be sold for more than $1200 and it's in nice shape

edit, wow, they are some decent looking machines

5. ethanch

ethanch Member

Spokane, WA. Has the same problem with overpriced bikes. My friends and I joke about it all the time, if you want to triple a bikes value just bring it to Spokane and throw it on craigslist. A guy had a 73 750 Special and was asking 1500.00 I had to go look at this just to see what a 1500.00 36 year old bike looks like. Hmm, must have been a gold frame under all that rust, cuz it was a piece-O-crap.
    Here are some examples:
    http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/1143162874.html
    http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/1161516819.html
    http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/1168799044.html (this one has been on for months)
    On the other hand if you just get a little way out of Spokane or over the pass to Seattle we find this.
    http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/1143608820.html
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcy/1160158644.html
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1164514448.html (this one is pretty nice)
    I picked my 82 Seca 750 up 4 months ago for 400.00 replaced all the bearings, rubber, electrical, etc. lots of it was stuff I had from my original bike that got taken out 26 years ago. some new paint and I now have a sweet new looking/riding bike. There are deals out there and then there are some who think you should pay them for the sentimental value.

6. Thee_oddball

Thee_oddball Member

7. ethanch

ethanch Member

That's what I'm telling you, the prices are crazy. a few weeks ago my buddy sold his 2000 ZX9R here in Spokane for 500.00 over book. then we go over the hill to Seattle to get a 2000 Aprilia RSV 1000 for him, The PO had it on craigslist for 2600.00 add said "it smokes a little maybe a bad piston". he talks the PO down to 2200.00 we get it back to Spokane and discover the compression was great @ 200 psi in both jugs, then found out the guy had laid it down left it running awile and pumped oil into his airbox and injector intakes, my buddy mopped out the oil and no more smoke, he got it painted and now has the sweetest 6800.00 Ape around.

8. waldo

waldo Member

Note to self get price for a Uhaul to Spokane for next Spring. I'll be rich rich I tell ya

9. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

i've been trying to figure out these prices myself for the last 8 years.

it's just ridiculous. even more so since they have no side covers. the paint looks like spray can. the forks leak. valve covers leak.

then there's the crackheads that took it apart for whatever reason. and now don't have the peices to put it back together.

i've said it once before. if i'm gonna pay top dollar for a bike. i'm getting something of value. (newer, bigger, less miles)

i've always been about the value of a buck. and i just don't see it in them old bikes. no matter how pristine that bike is. cuz when it comes time to sell. them old bikes just aren't wanted anymore.

when i sell a bike. i price it to sell TODAY. not drop the price down 10 times so i can have it sold hopefully within 12 months.

10. Erman

Erman Member

I paid nearly 3k $ for my bike, and rode the hell out of it the first 10 rides.
    Now she needs care, and I guess I'm putting in another 500 bucks in parts.
    But I don't think I can expect to get that back in $$$ if I try to sell the bike - only the thrill of the ride...

11. StahlMaster

StahlMaster Active Member

I've found out that when I'm looking to buy a bike they are all over priced.
    When I'm looking to sell a bike they are all under priced.
    It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

D

12. oldtexasguy1

oldtexasguy1 New Member

Hello everyone I'm new here but this price talk is one of the things I was wondering about on my bike. What are 83 900 Secas with around 10K miles going for? I'm thinking about selling mine and getting something smaller. Any ideas?

13. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

kbb.com lists at $1410.

but the bike needs to be in good shape
    meaning all body parts. no leaks. no rust. no work needed what so ever.
    the miles are low so that's a big plus.

course, if you're looking to win the lottery. i guess you could sell it for $3g like the rest of the world. :)

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

good running truck? how about just something with a heater ?
    link

15. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

good looking bike.

MSRP for a 28 year old bike though. LOL

16. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

17. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

you see some winners on cl

18. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Hey, I don't know if anyone remmebers this bike. I am looking for his post but can't find it.. he is also in our area.. he is trying to get $2000 for it.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2149241302.html

If you keep your eye open you can find cheap bikes on there. Some people post their bike a bit cheaper when they think the work it needs is hard. I got my bike for $300, it needed the carbs cleaned and the wiring was all messed up from the po. I am sure a shop would have charged a lot for the work but it cost me very little to get it running. So if you keep an eye out you can find good deals.

90%of them are bad though lol.

19. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

You are 100% right, some sellers must be on crack or meth. Over the past few years I’ve probably bought 50 different bikes as I started collecting then focused my collection then completely changed the type of bikes I was collecting!

Most of my buys have come from CL and when in buying mode, I’ve looked at every ad from Ohio east and from Rhode Island to NC resulting in me reading a LOT of ads.

Through all that I’ve come to learn that only a few categories that sellers fall into. One is the guy who just wants to find a single sucker will to pay for his overpriced bike. Then there are the guys that try to sell pure pieces of junk for crazy high prices. Usually, either of these two guys will respond to an email inquiring why their price is so high, with swear words.

Then there is the guy who really has no idea what his bike is worth but it’s HIS baby and he thinks its worth a lot more then it truly is. Then there is the guy whose wife has told him to get rid of the bike since he no longer rides it. He lists is for a medium to high price but when you begin to talk with him, his interest rekindles and he decides that he’ll sell it, for that high price and if he doesn’t, he’ll ride it again….most times he does neither and a few months later, he lists it again.

Then we have the most dangerous seller….she is selling his bike, after she’s told him to leave or he’s left for a woman that doesn’t bi*ch so much…very dangerous since you won’t know he’s going to kill you for riding his bike…in fact you won’t even know it’s his bike until he runs you over or shoots you, no thanks.

Then we have the seller who doesn’t ride or has moved to a different machine and he lists his bike for a fair price but it needs a few things that he’s no longer will to do since he’s selling it. He’s ok to deal with provided you know how to check the bike out.

We also have sellers who somehow have come into a motorcycle, they may or may not ride but they don’t want the bike. The money is all their after and they sell cheap. Also fitting in close to this seller we have the guy who is desperate to sell. He’s broke and needs the money bad. He drops his price into the basement if you show him any real interest. Unfortunately, I’m not wired to take advantage of these people and in at least two cases, I ended up deciding to pay them more then they had dropped their price to. I have faith that there is a heaven.

Finally, we have the seller of “the perfect bike”. It is immaculate and because of this, the owner wants blood for it! True story, a couple of years ago a guy listed a beautiful 72 H2 for $22,000.00….yes, you read it correctly 22K!! His ad ran for eighteen months before it ended. I found out who he sold the bike to (it’s a small world in Vintage bikes) and you know, he sold it for 22K! Amazing! That's when I decided to get an H2. I sought a ‘75 purple (the rarest model only 5000 made) and waited and watched...till the right bike came up. All original, low miles and in perfect shape, from a guy several hundred miles away who was asking a fair price.

My all time favorite is the guy who rolls down his handlebars and lists his bike as a “café racer”…..I laugh so hard every time I see one of those ads.

Through all this I’ve learned that you can get a great deal provided that you are willing to do a bit of work and willing to drive a ways. Never get goaded into overpaying for a bike and like with cars, don’t fall in love with the machine before the deal is struck. Walk away if you get even a hint that something is either wrong with the “deal” or wrong with the bike and that the seller is hiding some thing. Chances are, you’re right!

The right bike ALWAYS shows up…just be patient!

jeff

20. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

I cant find the ad it might of expired. Someone was selling one of those 250 cc chinese bikes chopped up into a bobber with high mileage for more then it cost new here are a few in my area on ebay
    81 kz 1000 chopper There is no way this thing makes 135hp with stock carbs and stright pipes its 9 feet long and goes 165 mph
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-R ... 1c188edc3e

This guy needs to share his drugs both of these bikes are his
    the 650 was listed for starting bid of $350 half way thru the auction he relisted it again this time starting bid was $450 both in there at the same time. Ok if you get no bids for $350 what makes you think you would at $450
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/hello-im ... 4aa7b51b73

This is his other bike the kast add it needed a bunch of parts now it just needs cdi ect check out how the add is written and how he answere questions http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/put-tend ... 4aa7be5757

Jeff i was doing the same and agree with you.