1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

starter clutch or not?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by wrxg33k, Nov 15, 2010.

1. wrxg33k

wrxg33k Member

Just picked up an '82 XJ650 and am having starter problems. The starter spins up but sounds like its skipping/grinding gears. It will occasionally turn over and start the engine. However, there were a few times when it stayed engaged and would spin up whenever I set the right handlebar switch to 'run' without be pressing the start button.

Based on other posts, I'm planning on pulling the starter, checking brushes, and cleaning it all up. I'm worried though that it might be the starter clutch but wasn't sure if the starter staying engaged was a symptom of this.

I was thinking of also trying the half can of sea foam and fresh 5w20 oil change.

Any other thoughts? Is there anything I'm missing?

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Almost any 10W 30 or thinner oil has "friction modifiers" and the sunburst seal on the label, and are not to ever be used. Both the starter clutch and the main clutch don't like the additives. A good, reliable, cheap oil is the diesel commercial oils, like Delo, and Rotella. They also have anti-wear additives pretty much banned in car oils.

There's a chance you have a cracked or split starter ring.

3. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

That or a broken starter clutch spring or two...

I'd try changing the oil first before I cracked the cases.

Your starter hanging might be the starter button stuck or a stuck starter solenoid.

4. wizard

wizard Active Member

+1 on the sticking relay.
    Try new oil, try anything, to repair or replace the starter clutch is probably the worst job on an XJ.
    Good luck.

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Adding a solvent to the Oil is "Hit or Miss'

If the Bike "Sat" for a long time, ... you got a shot at Cleaning the Rollers and Springs with a "Direct Hit" on the Clutch parts.

Using CORRECT Tools for the disassembling:
    **Hand-Held Impact Tool
    **1/2" -or- 3/8" TORX Sockets

Remove the Starter
    Alternator; Complete
    Internal Case Cover behind the Alternator
    (TORX Fittings w/ Thread Locker requiring Impact)

You can fabricate a "Direct Spray Clean Tool" by securing a length of Vinyl Battery Drain Hose to a Wire Coat Hanger and fashion a reverse loop at the end.
    Attach to Nozzle of Trigger Operated Oil Can filled with straight SeaFoam or Carb Cleaner, ... (( strong solvent )).

**Check-ball and Spring type Pump that product won't dissolve pump parts. **

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-oz-flexi ... -1106.html

6. wrxg33k

wrxg33k Member

As far as I know, the bike did not sit. The previous owner put about 1000 miles on it from May until now, usually push starting it since his driveway sloped down.

I'm thinking it's gummed up though since sometimes its gets stuck on and won't freewheel. Either that or the springs are shot. I'd really like to avoid having to replace the starter clutch...

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Here's something you can do to help everyone:

Complete the Registration Process:
    SIGNATURE SECTION:

Year – Model – Miles – Stock or Mods??

LOCATION Section:
    Fill-Out Location.

The off-season is when you like to take care of a job like doing a Start Clutch.

The problem is that the job is Labor Intensive.
    You go a long way to get your hands on the problem.
    Passing situations that might also need to be added to the list while the Start Clutch is being ministered too.

8. wrxg33k

wrxg33k Member

Thanks RickCoMatic, I added the info.

9. wrxg33k

wrxg33k Member

Where can I find 20w50 motorcycle specific non-synthetic oil? My local advanced and auto zone only carry 10w40 synthetic.

10. Robert

Robert Active Member

You do not need motorcycle specific oil. I've been using Castrol GTX 20-50 for years. You can use Shell's Rotella 15-40 as well. Do a search on what kind of oil should I use in my bike and you will find lots of recommendations.

11. Galamb

Galamb Member

I had the same symptoms with my Starter clutch. Excluding the starting, by turning on the switch.
    I might of had some dirt in the starter clutch or the heat. And that was the reason she acted up. I changed the oil twice and since then she starts up good. I've been using Castrol GTX 20-50 for years and never had any problems before.

Start with a simple oil change, fix the problem with the kill switch, before you split the case. That's a big job.

12. wrxg33k

wrxg33k Member

I've changed the oil once and the problem definitely got better but it still occasionally slipping. However, I topped off the battery (it was down to 12.39v) and it started right up this morning. I'm going to run the oil for a bit and give it another change with castrol gtx 20w50.

I will also be pulling the starter and checking out the brushes.

13. Robert

Robert Active Member

Sounds like you are off to a good start. If, after running with the Castrol for some hundred or so miles, you are still slipping, you will want to invest in a new clutch kit (about $70 for stock parts from Chacal).
    Good luck!

14. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Advance Auto parts and Auto Zone do carry the Motorcycle oil and oil filters (ch6003) but you have to look on the small engines (lawnmower) isle.

15. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

wallmart sells 5 quart gallons for $17 - $21.

if you have to pull the starter. make sure you check the flywheel on the engine for chipped teeeth.

if your hearing the starter grinding. it might be grinding on the teeth of the flywheel.

16. wizard

wizard Active Member

Sometimes Snowwy, I think you don't know the first thing about XJ motorbikes. teeth ? flywheel ? get your head out of the hood.