1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bikes You Miss the Most

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by XJ4Keeps, Dec 3, 2010.

1. XJ4Keeps

XJ4Keeps Member

A thread for the vets. I'm turning 50 in a few weeks, so I've been waxing nostalgic lately. If you could snap your fingers and have three of your old bikes show up in your garage tomorrow morning brand new and ready to ride, which three would you choose? For me, it would be the following:

1) '76 DT400. My first "big" motorcycle. I rode it in the dirt for almost two years before I got my license, and wrecked it on the road a few months thereafter. I remember everything about it to this day--the sleek looks, the wonderful, skinny, friendly feel, the smell of high-octane gas and two-stroke oil escaping from the pipes... The scars I got from this bike taught me a lot about riding. I'd love to have another chance to show her what I've learned.

2) '87 FJ1200. The first (and only) litre-bike I ever owned, and it was just plain demonic fun. Gobs of torque, roll-on power to burn, well-engineered, and sexy as hell. I sold it after two serious brushes with death in less than a month cost me my nerve and a couple of years of riding. As I've come to learn, it wasn't the bike's fault.

3) '95 VFR. Other riders tell me that the Generation V bikes were even better, but I remain skeptical. I rode this gem for seven years and loved every minute. She was beautiful, practical, and a blast to ride. Unfortunately, we both grew old and started to break down at about the same time. My wrists, neck, and knees got creaky just as the Viffer got cranky, so she had to go. It sucks getting old.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

-1972 Triumph Trophy 500, "S" Variant (street pipes, single carb.) Put approximately 93K miles on it; should never have sold it.

-1978 Yamaha SR500; wrecked in the spring of '82 by a careless Toyota driver.
    -1980 Yamaha SR500; the replacement for the wrecked one, sold when having children was becoming hazardous to my wealth. Shoulda hung onto it.

I DON'T MISS MY 1974 NORTON; I still have that one! Bought it new and kept it that way.

And yes getting old sucks (I'm a tad further along than you are.) My philosophy is "I'm not old until I say so!"

3. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

Ive never gotten rid of my bikes, and I hope I never will.

If I had to want another bike, I would love a old KZ1000 LTD, or a KZ900, needless to say- a Z1. A Midnight or a Seca would also be awesome.

4. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

The only bike that I owned and wish I never sold was my Yamaha YSR50. That little thing was a blast to ride. It was so fun to pull wheelies and stoppies on. I don't miss my 600 Katana, YZ125, Honda Passports, or Honda MT125. I will never sell my 550 Seca though. I've owned it for 24 years. We have been through 3 wrecks, 1 serious, and now on its 5th rebuild. I bought it wrecked, 3 crashes and stripped by a thief. It is almost ready for the road again. I just ran out of coin.

5. markie

markie Member

I probably miss the GT550 2 stroke the most, which is why I keep nagging Schooter to keep his.

I was only 17 and a years 3rd party insurance cost as much as the bike. It was 1980. It was noisy (3 into 3 Expansion chambers,) had a full sports fairing, drop bars and custom paint.

That was 30 years ago, so maybe I am missing my youth to? But you can't separate them.

My RD250 came close and I miss the XJ600 I sold this year.

6. skillet

skillet Active Member

1969 Triumph Bonneville bought it new :cry: ...

skillet

7. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

My only regret is not buying a bike sooner after selling my first on in 1980. Waited until 2007 to get my XT550, A lot of wasted years not riding.

8. schooter

schooter Active Member

I miss my Husky 610, I never gave her a chance because I was afraid of it... and not as mechanically able as i am today, so its power and advanced engine skeered me. woulda have been a nice dual sport / offroad bike..

9. bobberaha

bobberaha Member

I miss my Yamaha GT80 I loved that bike and spent countless hours riding it around the farm will always be my first love.

10. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

I still think about my first, a red 1982 XJ750. I miss that bike. Had to sell it when my son was born to pay rent in 89. Also miss my IT465 Yamaha, it was my fault it blew up. I still have my first dirt bike, a model 85 Bultaco Alpina 250 it got in 1980. It needs some cosmetic work but runs.

11. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Easy one for me too!

Hodaka Wombat. Only bike I ever bought brand spanking new. IIRC the price was $629 USD. I know where it lies. Torn seat (big deal) but, Oh buddy, that piston rattles around like BB in a rain barrel! Wonder if my D***head ex-brother in law would ever part with it?

Loved my little Honda 65 too. First bike I ever owned that wasn't a step thru design. Felt like I finally owned a boys bike instead of a girly step thru bike.

BTW, for all you old far*s lamenting about growing old I would just like to say that getting old sure beats the alternative!

Loren
    53 years old and so far getting older by the second! (Cross fingers)

12. Studeman

Studeman Member

For starters- it would be my older-brother's Suzuki TS 125 Duster. I rode it to school when he wasn't using it. We also had a blast in the woods around the farm, and the logging roads through the state game lands. I'd love to have another to teach my son to ride..

1972 Honda CB-360- "MY" first bike. Rode it very hard. it was butt ulgy and wrecked when I bought it. I disassembled and painted it in my driveway. Rode it until I found my XJ-750. I gave it to my little brother when he was on leave from Iraq in 1990. He painted it like a 40's German Cycle. Flat green/grey with black accents.. I have no idea where it is now...

I've never had one.. but I WANT a Honda Valkyrie Tourer.. I miss not having one yet..LOL!

13. alaskazzr

alaskazzr Member

Last year I had a choice of whether to sell my Buell XB9R or my Suzuki TL1000R for a down payment on my new house.

I ended up selling the TL for the down payment. Subsequently I sold the XB9R due to disuse and disinterest earlier this summer. I wish I had kept the TL. It was the finest and cleanest example in Alaska, and the minute the guy handed me the money, he hopped on the bike and dropped it hard on the left side busting the fairings all up. Sad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]