1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

super stuck oil filter bolt!!!!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by pbr_street_gang, Jan 23, 2007.

1. pbr_street_gang

pbr_street_gang Member

Hey everybody,
    I have a super stuck oil filter bolt and I went thru the old threads and I've done almost everything I can do! The bolt head is stripped but, still there. Tonight I tried drilling it out and went through to the inside of the bolt/filter area and the rest of the oil came out. So now it's completely useless trying to drill it out because, it's getting lubricated!!! augh. Tomorrow night I'm planning on filing down two sides of the bolt head and using the vise grips again. Any other suggestions??? This is starting to drive me completely crazy.
    many thanks

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Pipe wrench?

3. OneShoe50

OneShoe50 Member

I used a chisel and a hammer. Concentrate on the portion of the bolt closest to the housing. I also removed the exhaust to give me more room to work. And use care to turn the bolt not the housing. And when you buy the replacement, get an EMGO, it has a larger diameter bolt head and is easier to remove.

4. bfg1971

bfg1971 New Member

I had a flush mounted screw that had a completely stripped out phillips head on my brake's master cylinder. I used a torch and heated it up, let it cool (repeated X3) and then used a flat head screwdriver and I was able to back it out. It just takes some patience.

Here's some other ideas.

http://www.dansmc.com/stripbolt.htm

5. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

6. Ace_Frehley

Ace_Frehley Member

Mine was stuck and completely stripped, I used an easy out, the harder you turn it the deeper it cuts into the old head, it popped it right out. Mine was a mastercraft, if thats any help to you

7. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    Ditto on Ace's comment - I brought the complete set of bolt extractors from Canadian Tire... I'm batting 1.00 with them. If the extractor bites into the metal (and it really should) then it should work every time... make sure you get it to bite into the metal before you start turning it with a long breaker bar.

8. pbr_street_gang

pbr_street_gang Member

I tried a bolt extractor last night but, it went through and never bit into the bolt. Now that the oil is in there it looks like it'll never bite properly unless i clean it out really good.

I'm trying to turn this thing counter clock-wise right? I just want to double check so that I'm not making another big mistake. I'm going to try doing the heating up and cooling down with a blow torch tonight and everything else. I'm not going to catch my bike on fire, right? Thanks for all the responses I hope the next time I post i'll be celebrating.

9. Altus

Altus Active Member

Oil shouldn't be a factor when using a bolt or screw extractor bit - those bite directly into the metal and lubricating it won't make a bit of difference.
    What most think of as an "easy out" is what I call a screw extractor. Looks like a left-handed drill bit. If that's what you've used, you might want to try an actual bolt extractor -- they look like a large socket with left-hand carbide flutes inside. They grab the outside of the bolt head and twist.
    The only thing I'd be worried about in your case is that as you've drilled it already, compromising it somewhat, there may not be enough of the bolt head to take the strain of the bolt extractor. Something to try though.

Yes - it turns counter-clockwise.

10. spanky

spanky Member

I had the same problem with my 550 after purchase. I ended up drilling a hole through what remained of the bolt's head and inserted a 10 penny nail. I then fastened the vise grips onto the bolt's head and that gave me the leverage to break it free.

Mind you, this is AFTER I'd used a propane torch/hammer & cold chisel and copious amounts of foul language! :D

11. woot

woot Active Member

Altus - if the bolt head failed, then he could slip the filter housing off most likely. Then I'd stick a spike through the filter bolt holes, perpendicular to the bike, and twist.

Dunno - that's a what might work in a worse case scenario.

12. Ace_Frehley

Ace_Frehley Member

Yeah thats what I was talking about Altus

13. shamus

shamus Member

I used a cold chisel and hammer. Hold the chisel against the side of the bolt and whack it with a hammer. the chisel should grip the side of the bolt and then it works a bit like an impact wrench....

14. Leee

Leee New Member

i had the same prob. if you can get rid of the head on that bolt with out damaging the housing it will slide right off ,thats what i had to do . i played dentist with a dremel. then bought a new bolt at bikebandit $ 9.00 bucks .

15. crc1214

crc1214 Member

Just cut the head of the bolt off with a dremel cut-off wheel, being careful not to hack up the filter cover (it's not that hard). Once the head is off, the oil filter housing will slip right off. Then grab whats left of the bolt "stub" with a pair of vice grips and you'll be able to get it. Replace with an aftermarket EMGO bolt.

That's what I did awhile back on a CB that I had, and it worked like a charm.

16. Robert

Robert Active Member

Hammer and chisel worked for me PBR. I've also used a very large socket I pounded into place over the buggered head. If your very careful, you can even salvage stuck bolts with the chisel method (just gotta file down the curls). I also have use a hack saw to cut a very large slot across the head of the bolt and use an impact hammer to losen it up!

17. pbr_street_gang

pbr_street_gang Member

Thanks for all the advice. I'm off to the "tent" to work on this thing and I'll report back shortly.

18. pbr_street_gang

pbr_street_gang Member

Wah Wah. Failure. I think that the bolt has been sabotaged. Here's what went down. I tried to chisel it to no avail. I then dremeled off the mangled bolt head but, couldn't get in closer to get the larger washer part off. With the bolt off I could get the bolt extractor way in there. I tapped it in a little and hooked up a 1/2 inch impact drill and nothing. It spun out from the extractor. So I'm feeling totally beaten. I'm going to see if I have the strength to hack away at it again tomorrow. I really feel like somebody put something crazy on it because, it's practically seamless from where the larger washer part of the bolt fits on to the filter. I guess if there's a way to completely rip out the bolt that's the point I'm at now.

Thanks for all the help. Maybe this thread helped some other people get some stuck stuff lose.

19. woot

woot Active Member

You don't have the same extractor that Ace and I have... next time try one of those as they are considerably better. Now you are as far as you are you pretty much will have to cut the whole bolt head off - this will let the filter housing off, which in turn will take some of the preasure off of the filter bolt.

Good luck, woot

20. Travis-Mc

Travis-Mc Member

I would have taken the sawzall to it by now.. haha.. just cut the whole filter housing right in half and buy a new one on ebay..